CPU fan keeps running

Guest dally

Guest dally

After the installation of Mandriva 2006.0 my CPU fan keeps running without any breaks. When I switch to Windows XP Home Edition, or my Fedora Core 5 installation everything looks fine. CPU fan stops after some short time and then starts when my CPU needs it.

Any ideas why Mandriva 2006.0 installation keeps the CPU fan cooler running?

Info:

Mobile AMD64

Processor 3200+

1.6 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

Since Fedora Core 5 installation works fine, compare what services/kernel modules are being used by Fedora and Mandrake. Also, check CPU temperature, frequency and ACPI settings. Fans are controlled by kernel modules, so it may be that these modules are different, or not loaded in Mandriva.

In particular, consider using cpufreqd, cpudyn or powernowd daemons for controlling CPU frequency. My intel centrino laptop was running pretty hot until I noticed that it was constantly running at 1600 Mhz, even when the CPU was idle. Loading the speedstep-centrino module and letting the frequency be controlled by cpufreqd and cpudynd daemons, helped a lot.

You might have to go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Desktop/Power Control and enable the features in there too, although usually most of this is for battery settings relating to laptops, so you may not see anything in here if a desktop.

Just an idea, just in case. You can check if cpufreq is installed with:

rpm -qa | grep cpufreq

or to check if it's enabled as a service:

chkconfig --list cpufreq

You might have to go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Desktop/Power Control and enable the features in there too, although usually most of this is for battery settings relating to laptops, so you may not see anything in here if a desktop.

He has Mobile CPU, that's why I suggested looking at frequency stepping. Adjusting power setting is a very delicate thing, I would not trust "one hat fits all" GUIs on this. A much better fine tuning can be achieved by editing scripts following recommendations in the README files.