Hangs on shutdown [solved]

Bari

Just installed Mandriva 2006 after playing about with fedora core 5, Mepis and ubuntu, but I always seem to come back to Mandrake. On selecting reboot from the logout choices the screen blanks out (black) with a little icon or something up in the top left corner of the screen, its very small and I can't quite make out what it is. The screen then goes blue with the x cursor in the middle of the screen. Nothing then happens no matter what key I press or mouse button I click. If I press the power button and let go imediatly the process starts starts shutting down as normal but instead of rebooting it just turns off. On the verbose shutdown list it would seem that the 'xserver'? fails to stop. What should I do is their a config file I can alter to sort this out. Any advice would be appreciated. ;)

Welcome aboard :)

Can you post the last lines before it hangs from the /var/log/messages file? It might show us exactly, where and why the system hangs. It could be ACPI related. Is it activated on your distro? Check in the MCC, System-startup, Bootloader selection. If not, check the ACPI box.

Good luck.

When the blue screen appears next time, don't reset your machine. Simply press a few times alt+ctrl+backspace, until you get a console login.

Alternatively, when your computer starts press esc and type in

linux 3

This will also bring you to console login, without X running.

Logon as root and run XFDrake to set up your x-server (ain't difficult, just take care not typing irrelevant things in there).

Then either startx, or (if you used the second method)

init 5

BTW since the kernel "listens" you pressing the shutdown button, it could be a buggy ACPI implementation. You could try altering your acpi settings, but try reconfiguring the x-server first.

I have also experienced something similar on odd occasions. I think you might need to apply updates to your system.

At the top of this page is a link to easyurpmi, this will give you sources, set up all sources for main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates. Then copy and paste each line of code into a terminal window to add these repositories. Make sure you typed "su" before doing this, else you will not be able to add the repositories.

Then I recommend applying all updates to the system. From the command line:

urpmi --update --auto-select

then say "y" when prompted to install. This shouldn't take too long over a broadband connection, takes about an hour or so on my 256K broadband link.

Thanks but I only have dial up. I checked acpi ticked and unticked it and it makes no difference nor does running xfdrake. I have checked the log see below and to me it seems that there is a problem with the display manager, what do you think.

May 11 21:45:27 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

May 11 21:46:02 localhost kde3(pam_unix)[3463]: session closed for user barry

May 11 21:46:16 localhost shutdown[4278]: shutting down for system halt

May 11 21:46:17 localhost init: Switching to runlevel: 0

May 11 21:46:18 localhost kernel: bootsplash 3.1.6-2004/03/31: looking for picture...<6> silentjpeg size 34430 bytes,<6>...found (800x600, 34382 bytes, v3).

May 11 21:46:18 localhost kernel: bootsplash: status on console 0 changed to on

May 11 21:46:18 localhost lisa: Stopping lisa: succeeded

May 11 21:46:19 localhost dm: Display manager shutdown failed

May 11 21:46:19 localhost dm:

May 11 21:46:19 localhost rc: Stopping dm: failed

May 11 21:46:19 localhost xfs[3143]: terminating

May 11 21:46:19 localhost xfs: xfs shutdown succeeded

Have you tried booting with apic disabled? You can temporarily do this by pressing ESC at the bootloader screen then typing:

linux noapic

or you can make changes in the Boot Loader section for permanency, but this is better for a quick test.

Have had the same problem here with mdv 2006. I'm using the nvidia driver with kde and have done all the updates. I've managed to isolate the problem to kdm. If I use gdm instead, the problem goes away but then you don't get the shutdown dialogs that you normally get when running kde. Instead, you are limited to logging out from kde which brings you back to gdm and you can shutdown from within gdm without issues.