Reinstalled NVidia drivers...

javaguy

:wall:

I got a new NVidia card and wondered if I had to reinstall the NVidia drivers. Since every opengl-ish game I run crashed without doing that, I took this as a sign that yes, I did have to. So I reinstalled the NVidia drivers, and now all my games run beautifully, except that now there's no sound.

I don't think anything's muted, and the volume on everything in KMix is turned all the way up.

:help:

I didn't do anything else, just removed the old card, popped the new one in, tried running a couple of games and, when they didn't work, ran the driver install.

It's a SB Live! 24-bit card, and I agree X shouldn't touch sound, but I can't imagine what else it could be. I had sound right up to the point when I booted to runlevel 3 to install the drivers, and never since. Graphics look stunning though.

I'd be tempted to:

alsaconf

and see if that helps restore your sound. Also, after running this, make sure all channels require aren't muted using kmix and set correct volume levels.

You don't have any "input" tab at kmix at all, which means alsa isn't properly configured.

Does "lsmod" command show a module "emu10k1" as loaded?

If it does, then for starters mute the SPDI/F I/O entries... they need 48Khz samplerate, while the normal audio files are 44.1Khz- so they are probably messing alsa.

Edited by scarecrow