su command, and other sundries

jagwah

Hello /waves to everyone

I'm having a bit of trouble (well, a lot of trouble actually, but one thing at a time), it seems that when I enter the su command in the console dodad thing, it no longer asks me for the root password, it just puts me straight in. What might I have done to cause this?

Yesterday I couldn't for the life of me work out how to copy a file from my home dir, to usr/local dir via the GUI, and anyway, I followed some instruction which allowed me to run Konqueror as root, buy making a link to application thing. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it?. Can't think of anything else I might have done, come to think of it, I can't think of much at all, my mind is swimming, I have gone form being able to do anything I wanted to do in Win XP, to not even being able to copy a file in linux

:sad:

I can now copy files etc via the CLI, but I would dearly like to know how I can do this via the GUI, what do I do when I am denied access? I can get around it by the "run Konqueror as root, buy making a link to application thing" I mentioned above, but am unsure that it is the best way to do it.

Also, I can't seem to be able to get/find/install the kernel source, I have set up some sources via easyurpmi, main contrib etc, updated the sources, tried the installation DVD, but I can't seem to get anywhere, help :) 2.6.12-12mdksmp

This is my 3rd try at linux, first was back when Mandriva was called Mandrake, I think Mandrake 9, then again at Mandrake10, and now with Mandriva 2006. The funny thing is I got further on my first attempt, guess I shouldn't have quit back then, but ... Anything I learned back then is long gone from my memory. I have done things a little different this time, as I would dearly love to eventually use linux for everything, and say farewell to windows. I have 2 PC's both XP pro, I am leaving 1 alone, and this one I have removed the hard drives with XP etc, and replaced them with a couple of old hard drives I had, and am messing with linux on them, so when I get frustrated, instead of uninstalling linux and being back to square one again, I'll just swap the drives, change a few bios settings, and I'll have it back to XP and visa versa in a couple of minutes. Anyway, enough rambling, so to recap my problems

1. su command - no longer needing to input password

2. Being able to copy files etc via the GUI - What do I do when I get access denied

3. Kernel Source - I can't seem to find it, let alone install it. My version is 2.6.12-12mdksmp

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am trying ... , some would say very trying :wall:

2. Being able to copy files etc via the GUI - What do I do when I get access denied

do it as root. linux has this built-in thing we like to call "security" and "file permissions" ;) you see, outside of your home directory you have very little directories that you have write permissions on. this is to keep you from accidentally screwing up your system, and also to keep malicious persons from using your account to wreak havoc on your system. it's seperation of power. so, the resolution is to run konqueror as root when you need to copy files to places outside of your home directory (which, really, should not be very often at all - if ever).

p.s. - welcome to the board :)

1. su command - no longer needing to input password
Maybe you've accidentally set the root password to blank? Just an idea. You can change it back to a real password with the 'passwd' command

You should be able to copy files around your home directory using the Konqueror GUI. For directories which your user isn't allowed to write to, as tyme said you need to run as root to gain that write access. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by setting up the link thing, but one way to do it is type "su" in a console, and then type "konqueror".

3. Kernel Source - I can't seem to find it, let alone install it. My version is 2.6.12-12mdksmp
Don't know, sorry. You may not need the kernel source though, depending on what you want to do.

Maybe you've accidentally set the root password to blank? Just an idea. You can change it back to a real password with the 'passwd' command

hmmm, I don't think so, I had to use it originally, then all of a sudden I was never asked for it again, I would just type in su, hit enter and I would be root. However I tried changing the password with the passwd command you suggested, it said the change was successful, however nothing changed, I still don't need to enter it after the su command :( I think I used to be asked for the password when I clicked on the the System config tool (something annyway) that doesn't happen anymore either.

You should be able to copy files around your home directory using the Konqueror GUI. For directories which your user isn't allowed to write to, as tyme said you need to run as root to gain that write access. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by setting up the link thing, but one way to do it is type "su" in a console, and then type "konqueror".

The way you describe seems to be exactly the same, or achieves the same as the link thing, although with the link thing way I don't have to type anything in the console, just click an icon on the desktop. But I'm pretty well right now with that stuff, both via CLI and GUI, at least to do what I need at the moment.

Don't know, sorry. You may not need the kernel source though, depending on what you want to do.

I do need the kernel source installed for things, and I don't know where to get it, my version is 2.6.12-12mdksmp, I can't find that, I can find 2.6.12-12mdk, but don't know if I should use it as it doesn't have the smp bit on the end. I can't seem to get anything of the DVD, It says

"Unable to add medium, errors reported: ...copying failed Unable to build synthesis file for medium "DVD". Your hdlist file may be corrupted."

Going to check the md5 of the iso image I downloaded, if I can work out how that's done, if it turns out ok, then I'll reinstall everything and try again, if it turns out it is bad, I'll download it again, but it will have to wait 'till Monday as I'm out of blank DVD's.

Thanks to both of you for your replies

Edited by jagwah

The kernel source won't mention smp on it. This source will be fine for you to install. Also, with the gui option not prompting you for the password. By default it would prompt, but you could put a tick in the box to stop prompting for it. This is probably why it no longer prompts for the password.

I'm not sure how you would reset it though to prompt for it again.

I'm not sure how you would reset it though to prompt for it again.

there should be a key icon on one of the desktop panels (probably the one at the bottom of the screen if you have more than two) - right clicking on it should give you a few options. you can also logout and log back in, and it will prompt again. (IIRC)

The kernel source won't mention smp on it. This source will be fine for you to install.

Ahh, that gives me some reassurance, I was going to go ahead and try it anyway, but I wasn't to confident.

but you could put a tick in the box to stop prompting for it. This is probably why it no longer prompts for the password.

I'm fairly certain that I didn't/wouldn't have done that.

here should be a key icon on one of the desktop panels (probably the one at the bottom of the screen if you have more than two) - right clicking on it should give you a few options. you can also logout and log back in, and it will prompt again. (IIRC)

hmmm, can't find any key icon. I have logged out and back in several times yesterday, but the prompt never returned. I'm not to concerned at the moment, as I am going to do a few things after I install the kernel-source, just so as I have a better idea how to do them, then I'm going to reinstall.

I tested the md5 of the DVD image I downloaded just to be sure, and it 's OK, should the DVD have the relevant kernel-source on it?

also, when you have the DVD in the drive, and you open it, I would have thought you would be able to see the files, however all I get is a blank folder, I checked show hidden files, but still blank, and if I navigate to the DVD via the CLI, and 'ls' to show the contents, nothing is displayed?. It seemed to install fine though, quick and no problems.

Thanks again to all for your help