Interrupting a Urpmi download

maparus

I'm stuck with a dial-up access and it takes forever to download a large file. I'm about to update my computer again through Urpmi. If I were to loose connection or need to stop the download will I loose everything and have to start all over? When I was using Suse if I were to interupt the download, Yast would install all completed downloads that has been downloaded at that point. When I update this time I'll want to install more than one or two updates at a time like I did the last time I updated Mandriva

many thanks maparus

Urpmi is a bit like a "frontend" to download managers like wget (by default, urpmi uses wget for downloading). If you cancel a download, urpmi should be able to continue that download later. It will only install the files once the downloads are complete. Before that, they will be stored in the /var/cache folder. That is, if I am not completely mistaken (currently I am on my fedora box, thus can't verify that right now).

I've used urpmi on Mandriva, and by default it doesn't continue downloads. It starts from the beginning. Sometimes, you have to clear /var/cache/urpmi/partial or rpms directory because it won't start the downloads again. I presume there must be a switch or configuration parameter for urpmi somewhere to enable the resume option.

I wonder if there is a config file that you could do this in, so that it's automatically enabled by default. I'll have to check on this :P