Problem configuring wireless with ndiswrapper

RVDowning

You shouldn't need to change anything on the router unless you want to enable/disable something that is a feature of the router, rather than the machine.

Well, thanks for your help, but to tell you the truth, I'm giving up on this; I'm tired of being the middleman. I told my roommate that if he wants a high speed connection for his machine, he can either spring for another $1200 per year for another dsl line for Linux, or revert to Windows where everything works fine. If he wants to pursue this he can start his own thread.

I've decided not to get a laptop, because I don't want to have to run Windows (if my desktop is Linux), and I don't want additonal dsl costs.

I still have usb problems. It hasn't worked right for months. So, I'm also debating whether or not to stay with Linux anyway.

However, thanks for the help.

Sorry to hear all the problems your experiencing is putting you off using it. How new is the hardware? It may be you just need to wait a little while for a later release to come out to solve your issues. Usually due to lack of support in the current kernel. Compiling your own can be done, but causes a few issues with Mandriva, so normally best to wait for their official kernel release. Latest is 2.6.12.18mdk in 2006.

I can understand your frustration though!

Well, the system is 10 months old, but I have no bleeding edge hardware. USB worked fine in 2005LE, and did for a while in 2006. It just seems in Linux that stuff stops working after a while and no one knows why. I have never been able to get any issue resolved through any of the three Linux newsgroups I monitor. I can't even get usb to load at boot time. Sigh..... I can mount stuff (like digital cams) if I do all the steps manually. But that was another thread that went nowhere......

Roomie claims he has tried all the suggestions made in all three newsgroups regarding his wireless problems, and none of them work. What he does next is his business.

I am also on 2.6.12.18. I update every weekend. (Roomie used to also (when he had internet connectivity.))

I'm tired of spending all my time trying to get the system to work, as opposed to actually using it for something.

Thanks again for your attempts to be helpful.

Hi RVDowning,

I'm sorry to hear how much trouble you're having. But we've all had issues with our Linux installs. Very few of us desire a setup so simple that we install with few difficulties. Further, most of us are particular enough about our setups that we want them to run a certain way after they're functional. But one thing is for certain: if you ever get a taste for the functionality and speed of Linux, then hands-off Windows will never quite be the same. It's all about control.

Concerning your friend's wireless issues, tell him to use google.com/linux and just search for an ifcfg-wlan0 file. I was having the same issues and just googled the whole process and originally found an article on linuxelectrons that I liked. Concerning the USB/hardware issues: stick with what works. I know that I've not always had the greatest success with newer versions of Mandriva. If a slightly older version works better for your hardware, then stick with it. To me, a stable configuration is worth way more than the most up to date versions of software. I've ran older version of Mandriva through two or more releases until I found a newer version that was just as stable (or more so).

As for Mandriva on the laptop, I think it's cool. I've never had the best success with battery management in Linux, but I know of people who use their Linux laptop for hours (esp. with Centrino chipsets). I have a laptop with no Windows on it and never intend to install it either. It works too well.

Just a silly Linux pep-talk,

Jon