Monitor doesn't sleep anymore [solved]

uralmasha

I noticed that since some time ago my monitor has not been falling asleep/turning itself off anymore. I have the screensaver "aware of power management" and in the "power contrlo" the display power management is enabled, too. However, the display never goes into stand by / off mode, and sometimes the screensaver does not start at all.

It used to work with the same configuration. Obviously I have changed something, but I don't know where else to look. Any ideas?

I have mandriva 2006 x86_64, KDE 3.4.2, kernel 2.6.15, a desktop system with Abit motherboard, nVidia graphics.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by uralmasha

Check in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the Device section for your video card. I have one called:

Option "DPMS"

which is the display power management. Without it stops the power management working, but some tips recommended doing this to improve opengl stuff, although it didn't do it on mine, so I just left it in.

The only other thing is to make sure that ACPI or even APM is compiled into the kernel, just in case you're missing this too.

Actually:

Option "DPMS"

or better yet:

Option "DPMS" "true"

is intended to be in the Monitor section of xorg.conf - not the video section, although it also works there. While I have no technical proof, I've seen having this option in the video card section cause a slow down in 3d perfomance. But like I said, I have no proof of this or any explanation for it - I've just experienced it with my nvidia video card ;)