Kernel Update for Sensors modules

I've been running 2006 Official for a couple of months now and have been very happy. I had upgraded my mobo and therefore took advantage of the situation and upgraded everything. I have also recently purchased my first MITX system and have also install 2006.

Everything is working fine but the only issue in both cases is the sensors modules. For my Gigabyte K8N51PVMT-9 the modules is the WinBond 83627ehf and on the EPIA it the vt1211. In both cases the modules are not in the default kernel, but they are available in some form in later kernels.

I've never been a fan of updating kernels for a single fix, but in this case it'll fix two systems. Normal kernel updates for the default kernel are not enough as I need to get to 2.6.15 or greater.

Any recommendations on how to accomplish this with Mandriva 2006 without killing my system. During my Linux Life, I'm batting Zero for kernel updates.

Basically building a kernel is the same as building any other piece of software. However Mandriva patches its kernels so that they are not the same as the ones you can download from kernel.org. However the only thing I missed when I used to build kernels was supermount. With that in mind download the source from kernel.org. Untar in /usr/src/. Open a console. cd to /usr/src/<linux source> and type: make xconfig. Click 'open', browse to /boot and select 'config' (that will give you the working Mandriva config. If you know what you're doing you can have a look at the options and change some stuff). Save and exit

Type: make && make modules_install

Type: make install

Reboot and that is it (do all these steps as root)

Good luck.

I wrote a HOWTO for kernel upgrade with 2.6.15 in the Tips and Tricks section of this board. Also, additional posts have been made with problems encountered and what to do to get around them. You might want to check this out. You can find it here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=31270

Please note, the supermount option is covered as devries mentions. So you can fix this. But a lot of Mandriva's config tools stop working, probably because of patches or something, so you may want to try it, or instead, use kernel-2.6.12.18mdk as this is the current latest release. Default in 2006 is kernel-2.6.12.12mdk.