Modem help

Guest Elaine

Guest Elaine

I have run scanmodem and got the output file but i am not sure of what to do now as I am a Complete dunce at this Linux (yes i am too used to win xp and fed up of it and want to use both )but I cannot use the internet and need to update Mandriva 2006 ANY help would be great :D

ModemData.txt

Do you know if your modem is recognised? Go into System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake, and then find the modem in the list and see if a driver/module is loaded for this device.

If not, you can go to http://www.linmodems.org and get a driver for your card. You text file gives some info at the bottom saying which one could work for you. It also mentions to get this:

Get the SLMODEMD.gcc4.tar.gz from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

or try one of the vendors it mentions at the bottom of the file (conexant, etc, etc). Usually there will be instructions on how to get the driver installed once downloaded.

If you happened to have Mandriva Powerpack instead of Free, it would have slmodem as part of it using dkms to manage the module within the kernel and your modem would have worked straightaway, or at least as far as I know.

Oh, and welcome to the board :beer:

Guest Elaine

Well i went into system/configuration/harddrake as suggested and it displays my modem as

Unknown/Others

SiS7013 56kModem

and yes i did download the complete package slmodemd.gcc4.tar but when i opened it up it contains 19 items all of which are very confusing and i dont know which to follow in what order

so now im totally confused and have to hop between win xp and linux Mandriva 2006 Free :wall:

Guest Elaine

the files are as follows

1st read

changes

copying

countryList.txt

Files.txt

readme

slmodem.spec

slmodemd

rc.slmodemd

readme

slmodemd.ubantu

slmodemd

slmodemd.conf

slmodem.suse

slmodem-ALSA.txt

slmodemd

slmodem.txt

testing.txt

wvdial.conf

I do not know what order to do them in,I do know that copying and changes are not important,but as for the rest i really would not have a clue as they all seem to contradict each other :huh:

What does the readme or slmodem.txt have in it? These should normally give the install instructions for it.

If you can post the contents of these, we can take a look and help you with the install.

Guest Elaine

1st_Read.txtFiles.txtSlmodem_ALSA.txti have attatched the files as requested plus an extra one I have tried doing as requested in 1st read but it does not do what it says and create a port

oh why does everything have to be soooooooooooooo difficult I would have thought by now someone would have created a program to do it for you

Elaine :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: