modem issues

ozzy34

Hi folks,

I've installed Mandriva free 2006 and am having issues getting on to the net. I'm using eagle-usb thats provided with the package for my sagem fast adsl modem. However the modem doesnt seem to be operational (I did manage to get this running previsouly under 10.1 Discovery so know that the modem can work with linux).

I've done eagleconfig and am told

/usr/sbin/pppd - no such file

erro reading info about service eagle-usb: no such file or directory

following is output from eagle diagnostics:

Diagnostic (1.22 2005/03/20) driver eagle-usb 20060419142033

# System Information

Linux localhost 2.6.12-12mdksmp #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 17:43:23 CEST 2005 i686 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz unknown GNU/Linux

Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for i586

Linux version 2.6.12-12mdksmp (apatard@n1.mandriva.com) (gcc version 4.0.1 (4.0.1-5mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0)) #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 17:43:23 CEST 2005

gcc version 4.0.1 (4.0.1-5mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0)

# module loaded ? [ OK ]

# modem operational ? [ KO ]

# Config vpi/vci/encapsulation/isp : 26 6 (pppoa) UK01

# pppd launched ? [ KO ]

# ping IP ? [ KO ]

# test DNS resolution ? [ KO ]

The following is output after running eaglectrl -w

Sending CMVs to device /proc/bus/usb/003/004

CMVs successfully sent to driver.

Sending options to device /proc/bus/usb/003/004

Options successfully sent to driver.

Sending DSP code to device /proc/bus/usb/003/004

Using DSP code for POTS line

DSP code successfully loaded.

Waiting for synchro...

Can't get synchro within 60 seconds.

I've also tried to use the graphical interface to get things to work but no joys.

I have noticed however that on boot that the 'bringing up interface ppp0' fails. I'm not that up on how things behind the scenes operate but I believe that this may the the reason for my problems.

Any ideas how to move forward??? :-)

BTW - I'm still pretty much a newbie...

Edited by ozzy34

I'll try your CLI command in a moment (dual booty all the time).

I did open up mcc and looked at what software I could uninstall. Had the options of

ppp-2.4.3-9mdk

ppp-pppoatm-2.4.3mdk.

[edit] Also the same from the command line.

Edited by ozzy34

I've also updated updated mandiva with the following:

eagle-usb-2.3.2-7.3.20060mdk.i586.rpm

eagleconnect-2.3.2-7.3.20060mdk.i586.rpm

ppp0 still fails on boot :-(

I've also come across the following post

which hasnt really help (most prob due to my lack of linux experience).

I have noted that although I stated that I didnt want the modem to start on boot that ifcfg-ppp0 states onboot=yes???

tried to do an adsl-setup but this wasnt recongnised at the command line.

service -s didnt give me anything meaningful...

Any thoughts?

Edited by ozzy34

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

ozzy34 i have been expereincing all these symptoms that you are getting when i first installed linux.

I have tried every solution that i have read in so many forums and with the help of so many people here.

BUT the fact is that, USB ADSL devices are just a headache with linux! It is a fact and out of 10 people, may be only 1will has the chance of having it correct (by chance!!).

The more easy (but perhaps a bit expensive) solution is just to buy a router or ethernet modem!

This is the BEST solution with linux. And believe me you will NOT regret that you bought a router/ethernet device.

Linux is a world apart from windows and you will learn many good things..

And mandriva in particular really has a very user-friendly interface and is very nice to new-linux users :) ;)

All the best!

Regards,

wakish

Hi Wakish,

Thanks for this. As is so happens I have just bought a router so I must have been reading your mind as you typed :-). Have yet to try it with linux but fingers crossed here should be no further problems...

Not getting the modem to work with 2006 when I could get it to work with 10.1 was frustrating to say the least :-)

BTW - Any ideas how I can prevent the pppo from trying to start during boot? Machine just hangs around for about 5 mins before progressing. I assume just uninstalling ppp will do the trick and not cause any other issues?

Cheers

Ozzy34

Easiest way is to go into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and delete the ifcfg-ppp0 file. It will lose the configuration for this device, so if this is important to you, there is a better way.

Just edit the file instead, and change the onboot=yes to onboot=no, and then you will keep the configuration, but it just won't be enabled when you boot your system. You can also do this through mcc, but I find this the easiest way.

With regards to your router, as long as it is ethernet, then you will be perfectly fine. You will just use ip addresses on the machines and use the router as the default gateway, and have dns configured in your /etc/resolv.conf. You can use mcc (Configure Your Computer) to configure your ethernet card, to use DHCP or static ip address if the router doesn't have DHCP options on it.

Nice to hear you bought a router! There is now no problem.. perhaps you will just need to configure your eth0 in linux which is easy to do..

Now the real show show begins ;)

To remove the ppp0 interface just do as ianw1974 told and all will be fine ;)

In case you are new to linux, here is the full codes:

1) Open a terminal or bash prompt and type the following:
2) cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
3) ls -1
4) su (supply your root password)
5) rm ifcfg-ppp0
6) It will prompt you if you want to rely delete, just say YES

And you are done!

---------------

And a side note:

For your router, have your supplier made all the configurations for you?

If no, you have to setup your router by yourself and there is a user-guide manual accompanied with your router. This will help you step-by-step in setting up your router.

But, i guess your supplier should have already done this for you ;)

All the best!

Edited by wakish