How do I change the login-screen theme?

Gul Dukat

Hi,

I jst reinstalled Mandriva 2006 December-edition on my pc and I was wondering, how do I change the theme, which is Christmas-like, to something else? Is the login-screen called KDM by the way?

Thanks in advance.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

I prefer to do these things using the native tools so if you are using KDE you can use the control panel in KDE and choose themes.

The easiest way to get more is using the package manager, just search on theme in the packages.

The default login screen used to be a bastardised login screen that mandrake called mdkdm .. always on my list of things to get rid of on a new install and install a real login manager. kdm also has many themes and you can get them at http://themes.freshmeat.net/ and http://www.kde-look.org/

The 'start icon' is another mandriva bastardisation of KDE ... the proper way to change it is by installing the real KDE from source not the urpmi package which is hacked up by mandriva's team of monkeys to make it hard to change but you can also change the icon itself which they hardcode into KDE but is somewhere under /usr/share/icons/ ... this is like a hack of a hack so ?? but it works...

the problem is it doesn't follow the themes because mandrake have made it as difficult as possible for people to change this icon (leastwise last time I used Mandrake) presumably since they thing they have a better sense of aethetics than their users or theme designers?

the upshoot of this is you have to manually copy the icon each time to the correct location if you change themes... and real KDE themes will not replace it because the code is hacked to prevent you changing it but perhaps the themes you get from urmpi already have this hack if they are not official mandriva ones ...I doubt the offical mandriva themes from the offical repo's will since mandriva has set out to screw about the user by changing this and gone to considerable trouble so I can't see them going to more trouble to help the user change it to something they find pleasing.

@ffi are they mandriva rpm themes or direct from kde-look.,org etc.?

Last time I checked they actually changed the actual start icon name in order to prevent people changing it (without copying over the mandrake icon....) who knows why they want to make life difficult for their users unless they have some tool in the paid for edition that does this? perhaps its designed as a revenue stream like all the lies they tell about not being able to distribute the nvidia or ATI drivers? (but somehow its OK for them to distribute with the paid edition??)

Cool, that must drive mandriva mad.. all that programmer time wasted to stop people changing the icons and someone just makes the script LOL

Reminds me of the Xbox 2nd go at encryption when MS had a team of programmers working for a month after the first encryption was broken and linux installed and it took them overnight to recrack it so MS wasted all that money and time LOL... same for Mandriva, they waste programmer time trying to stop people customising the disto as they want (to what end I can't guess) and someone ondoes it all with a neat little script...

shame you can't back out the hacks to the control centre too. (or can you)

perhaps I might try mandriva again if someone publishes hacks to get rid of all the mods to KDE that mandriva do ...