no cd-rom found <-during install

Guest Siema

Guest Siema

I have mandrake linux 10.0 official on dvd and LG dvd burner.

i set up bios so that i ran the installer from dvd and in the window where i have to press f1 for other options or enter for standart installation i pressed enter. Then came window where installer was checking hardware and error returned: NO CD-ROM FOUND.

i finally managed to install it by copying dvd content on harddrive under windows, but still when i run linux i cant access to my dvd. it doesnt even exist in /dev/ directory.

how to install it or something???????

Is your drive recognised correctly in Windows, and working perfectly fine? If so, it could be possible that Mandrake 10.0 doesn't like it because it might be too new for the machine.

Something worth checking first, go into your BIOS and look for an option called "Plug and Play OS". Make sure this is not set to be controlled by the OS, because this can cause hardware detection problems. If it is, change it, and then see if Mandrake can see your DVD drive.

If it is relatively new hardware, then use Mandriva 2006 instead, as Mandrake 10.0 is old now and unsupported. Also there have been a lot of changes since 10.0, the migration to UDEV from DEVFSD is one of them.

Mandrake 10.0 will no longer have any updates available for it, neither will 10.1 either, LE2005 is due to stop around April/May this year, and Mandriva 2006 will be the only one getting updates for security fixes, etc.

Mandrake 10.0 will no longer have any updates available for it, neither will 10.1 either, LE2005 is due to stop around April/May this year, and Mandriva 2006 will be the only one getting updates for security fixes, etc.

[off topic]How easy is it to upgrade to another version of Mandriva, can this be done through the control center or urpmi, or should you download another CD?[/off topic]

You can upgrade in a few ways.

1. Upgrade from CD/DVD media.

2. Upgrade using urpmi sources.

The first, you boot from CD/DVD and complete the upgrade. The second, you remove all your current urpmi sources, then you point to the new urpmi sources, eg remove mdk 10 sources, and add mdv 2006 sources. Then, you would simply:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

and walk away while it updates from the ftp mirror. Most people will recommend clean installs, and this is the best way. I've encountered some problems, nothing major, but problems nontheless with upgrades.

Do NOT attempt upgrading 10.0 to a newer version. 10.0 was devfs based, while newer ones are udev, and this means you must tune MANY things by hand, and not always in a totally comprehensive way... Chances are that you will end up with an unbootable system, which won't be easy to fix.

I'd suggest backing up your personal data and installing a newer version from scratch.

Guest Siema
Something worth checking first, go into your BIOS and look for an option called "Plug and Play OS".

there is no such option.

my dvd works perfectly under windows and is also detected by older programs as well.

how big is mandriva 2006 install?? cuz with 256kbps it surely will last a bit long;P

really there is nothing else i can do??...

I only have 256kbps as well :P

Try here:

http://www.linuxcd.org/

you can purchase them for next to nothing. If your hardware is new, then no, there is nothing you can do. You need a newer version of Mandriva. That's like trying to run Windows 3.1 on today's hardware, just isn't going to work. I realise that Mandrake 10.0 is much much newer than Windows 3.1, this is purely an example. If you have new hardware, you need to use the newest possible version if you cannot get a 2 year old version to work.