Fixing Install without the disk?

fuego

Is it possible to fix my lilo on my dual boot xp setup so I can get back into my mandriva(windows ate the boot loader again) without using the dvd??

Is it possible to download a lilo repair kit or something??

I just haven't got my disc and can't download a new one right now.

gulp..Help me escape this windows nightmare I'm trapped in.

You could make a Linux installation on a USB stick if it was big enough, and if your BIOS supported booting from USB sticks, then you could use this to fix it, similar to using a CD/DVD. Although never tried it because my BIOS doesn't support booting from USB, but could be possible. USB harddisk for sure is possible.

You can use any liveCD, or a USB stick with a customized Linux distro put into it, eg Damn Small.

All you have to do then is chrooting into your installation root partition and running /sbin/lilo.

To prevent this happening again, I suggest switching to grub and locking the harddisk MBR froem being rewritten from system BIOS (commonly this option appears in the BIOS as "virus protection").

I tried so many diferent flavours of knoppix and debian and puppy and so on but none would get my keyboard to work. Im on a weirdo little TC1000 so it has issues in this dept.

In the end I have downloaded a new DVD of mandriva.

I may have lost this battle but I will still win the war. :thumbs:

I really thought Knoppix would be the ticket too... hmmm... keyboards..........