Modifying Grub

StandardsDT

Well I'd like to to Modify the Grub so Windows XP shows up first in the list. How would I go about doing this? I remember in linspire I had to go into boot/grub/menu.lst and edit that and then uncheckmark a file that started with a j (cant remember) in sbin. Well I went to go do that but there aren't any files that begin with j in the sbin directory. So what is the correct way of going about doing this? I am all for learning new things. I pick up on things fast :)

Simply change this line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

default 0

to the value you want.

0 = first entry in grub

1= 2nd entry in grub-menu

2= 3rd entry in grub-menu

etc.

:)

thank you that worked! :) now if i wanted to could i change the selection order? like put windows at the top and linux after that and leave default at 0? that was the way i did it in linspire. i ask this cause well im the only person who is using linux in the house at the moment and my mom tends to freak out if she sees something that looks like it could be dangerous unless i explain to her its not. so having the windows selection at the top will make it easier for her selection wise and if she walks away she doesnt need to worry about booting into linux if she didnt make the selection in that 10 second period.

In that case, simply copy the windows boot entry just after the

default 0

section and set the default setting to 0 again. Windows will then be at the top of the list, ahead of Linux, thus gaining boot-entry number 0. Linux will have then number 1 onwards. Save, exit and you are done.

I too do it that way and move the default to the top. Mainly because I like my default entry to be at the top, rather than in the middle or bottom. Don't ask me why :P

But both changing the default number or moving it, are solutions.