starting applications from the command line

Guest brent2

Guest brent2

I an running KDE with 4 desktops. Is it possible to start up an application, say emacs, from a terinal window on desktop 1 and have it pop up on desktop 2. How do I define this on the command line?

Brent

Guest brent2

thanks, but this did not work for me.

What I want is a command line solution.

I did try your suggestion but the menu options you describe are not present my KDE setup.

This is what I did,

right click the window gives>

Advanced, To desktop, Move, Resize, Minimise, Maximise, Shade, Configure Window Behaviour, Close

Advance gives>

Keep above others ,Keep below others, Fullscreen, No border, Store Window Settings

Either I dont have an 'advance'>'special windows settings' or I'm completely lost.

Try something like this:

emacs -display localhost:1

see if that displays it on an alternative desktop. Your first desktop, is normally known as "0". So try localhost:0 to see it pop up on your first desktop, and then go from there.

EDIT:

Ignore me, that doesn't work. This is if you have multiple X servers working. Although on my KDE I have the options that devries mentions. You don't mention what version of Linux you're using and/or what version of KDE?!?

ok, I'd like to ask it here, since I think its a sort of related to the topic, how could I make it happen, I have a remote Desktop PC, then I have full access on it thru ssh, then via cli, I want to start a certain application.. say.. emacs and display it on that remote PC's desktop, so it'll just pop up on that desktop.. is it possible? how?