KDE 3.5.1 Horizontal icon spacing

GekkoGeck0

I just installed the SoS KDE 3.5.1 RPMs after removing the default Mandriva RPMs. So far, a few small problems here and there, but one thing that's really irritating me is the icon spacing on the desktop.

When I logged in for the first time, it was normal, but somewhere along the way the icons were respaced, with large gaps in between icons. I tried Align to Grid, Sort Icons by Name, and Line Up Horizontally, but they keep reverting back. They will align for maybe a 1/4 of a second, but then develop that huge spacing. Line Up Vertically has the same issues, it's nicely spaced from top to bottom, but side by side...

It's quite unsightly because now I have two rows of icons instead of one. There's only seven on one row.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've been Googling for a few hours now and I'm coming up with very little, and what I am finding seems to apply to a bug that was supposedly fixed by now.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Try adding the following to /usr/share/config/kdeglobals:

[DesktopIcons]

DesktopGridSpacing=50,50

Or try adding the following to /usr/share/config/kdeglobals:

[DesktopIcons]

GridXSpacing=50

GridYSpacing=50

I found these two suggestions on the web long ago when trying to make adjustments to my new Mandriva 2005 install. In my case, only the second tweak worked and it only worked for the horizontal grid.

I found these two suggestions on the web long ago when trying to make adjustments to my new Mandriva 2005 install. In my case, only the second tweak worked and it only worked for the horizontal grid.

I've added both and they've made no difference.

It's like the icons want to go in their proper configuration when I click Sort by Name, but then they promptly bounce back into the mess they're in now.

Inspite im answering to kde sos rpms (if you would know...), i prefer help on this matter, so just to clarify this an old reported kde problem, so if you jut dont select any option to arrange icons, icons will continue in the same place when you leave after logout, still you can click to grid icons but dont let that option activated else everytime you login you will get icons diferently and it will happen (after a good number of logins and considering the number of icons you have on your desktop), that will create a triangule of icons starting from the uper left corner.

greetings,