Installing new Motherboard

kjc5664

I have a perfectly good system running Mandriva Linux 2006. I have just purchased an

ASUS P5VD1-X Socket T (LGA 775) VIA PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard, and a 3.00GZ dual Pentium 4.

My question is. Can I just take all the peripherals (HD,DVD+RW,AGP Card etc..). Plug them into the new MB, turn on the switch

and go ??

If not. What are the recommended steps to take.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I would do:

1) back up important information, just in case something goes wrong. if you have a seperate /home partition that would be good for this because you can just not format it.

2) trying plugging it into the new mobo and such, and boot. mandriva has a hardware detection tool that should run at boot up and take care of recognizing the new setup. if you're video card is changing, and it's ATI or NVIDIA, be sure you know how to get the drivers.

3) if 2 fails and there are problems on the system, just do a reinstall. if you followed step 1, you should be fine ;) just a little configuring.

I would make sure you have all updates, and the latest Mandriva 2006 kernel which is 2.6.12.18mdk. This will help for additional hardware detection and having newer modules, etc.

Plus the kernel-source if you have it on your system as well, but the updates should take care of this if it exists.

I would make sure you have all updates, and the latest Mandriva 2006 kernel which is 2.6.12.18mdk. This will help for additional hardware detection and having newer modules, etc.

Plus the kernel-source if you have it on your system as well, but the updates should take care of this if it exists.

Question. Where do I obtain the 2.6.12.18mdk kernel package.

Thanks. You guys rock.

If you set up your easyurpmi sources (using the link at top of this page), and have main,contrib,jpackage,plf-free,plf-nonfree on your list, then you can easily add.

Just do:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.18mdk

from a konsole prompt, and that'll do the trick. You should only need the "main" repository for the kernel i think anyhow out of the ones I listed. You can check with:

urpmq --list-media

and it will list all added.

Does anyone have experiences. Opinions about using Dual Core Intel chips with Mandriva Linux.

Are dual core system really "All That". It's too late now. Because I have already puchased form newegg.com.

But. I wanted to get a heads up.

Thanks again.

smp kernels seem to be a hassle with some recent 2.6 kernels and that's what you need for detecting and utilizing multiple cpus. IIRC some relatively recent changes in the kernel smp broke some third party modules like ndiswrapper and the win4lin kernel patch as well as some others. It may be all sorted out now by I know it was an issue when mdv 2006 came out. Basically, the third parties are rewriting their modules so they work with the new smp implementation.

As to issues specifically with the new duo core processors. I really don't know. The above smp issues effected both multiple cpus and intel HT cpus. It really wasn't a kernel issue per se but a question of third party module devs having to rewrite a lot of code because of the significant smp kernel changes.