WMP Streams [solved]

tf1

Hi

Several sites i use only supply their video streams for WMP. If i installed WMP and used wine\ open office it seems from what i read that it would run ok. If it did run ok, how would i configure firefox to associate online WMP streams with my local WMP installation? Is it possible?

Don't have windows, been there, done that. no thankyou.

Running Mandriva 2005 LE

Thanks

TF

Mplayer, or xine, and the win32codecs package (from PLF) should suffice.

kmplayer and kaffeine can also act as Konqueror addons, while for Mozilla/Firefox there's the mplayer-plugin addon (the project is on Sourceforge).

No need for wine/ WMP, or helix/Real player for audio streams... mplayer rules (although some of his releases are admittedly buggy).

Yes i have all those installed and the win32 codecs. How do i view a WMP video. In firefox i get "plugin required to view contents" or something similar.

Can't see how to do it with Mplayer.

You're right Mplayer is great.

TF

This is an example, what do i need to do to view this http://www.channel4.com/player/playerwindo...=4089&vert=news

Doesn't have to be firefox anything will do.

Edited by tf1

done that. installed mplayerplugin, rebooted to be sure but still get rubbish about missing plugin.

Is there something else i need to do,

Forget to mention my firefox is not the default installed with mdv, its 1.5 in its own directory. Thinking about it, i probably need to set up a manual symbolic link to the plugin. Is that correct?

Where would i find the plugin to link to it. I'm assuming its something like mplayerplugin.so?

TF

Edited by tf1

Thinking about it, i probably need to set up a manual symbolic link to the plugin. Is that correct?

On the spot.

Actually you have to symlink many:

mplayerplug-in-gmp.so

mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt

mplayerplug-in-qt.so

mplayerplug-in-qt-zpt

mplayerplug-in-rm.so

mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt

mplayerplug-in-wmp.so

mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt

mplayerplug-in.so

mplayerplug-in.xpt

All these are from the mplayer-plugin, and they can be found at your /mozilla/lib/plugins directory, wherever it is in your system.

Or, alternatively, you can symlink the whole mozilla plugins dir to your local one, but this could create issues when installing other Mozilla/Firefox plugins.

Edited by scarecrow

hi,

I only appear to have 2 of those

mplayerplug-in.so

mplayerplug-in.xpt

which i have symlinked to their respective directories, and it seems to work fine. Although it gets a bit flakey if you try to shut the tab with the video playing. Stopping the video first and then closing seems to work ok.

Don't know what happened to all the other files, can't find them anywhere!!

Thanks Guys

First class information as usual

TF

the plugin should support any format the regular mplayer supports. the plugin is simply an interface to the mplayer program, i don't see how it would need a plugin for every format...not saying you're wrong, i just find it strange.

I have the same results in arch as you but it may very well be setup differently in mandriva.

Good morning all,

I've tried on quite a quite a few sites now and it works fine for my purposes, if i should feel the need for more, i'll try and build it myself as Scarecrow suggests but at the moment its not broke enough to fix it.

Thanks again

TF

I have the same results in arch as you but it may very well be setup differently in mandriva.

That's true... in Arch non-GPL software does appear in the official /extra repository, unlike other distros.

If you check my link you'll see that all those proprietary formats ARE enabled by default into the plugin's configure script, but that does not mean that distro ABC has used the defaults to package it.