Mounting CD images in virtual drive

ffi

You can do it manually, or do a search for mountiso, which you can integrate into KDE, etc. I've used this, it's pretty cool.

The manual method is:

mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso

you will have to do "mkdir /mnt/iso" to create the mount point before trying to mount it.

Link for mountiso:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/MountISO-5093.shtml

Is this with mountiso? Or trying to do manually at the command line?

I know that nrg support only made it to mountiso recently, so I'm hoping the link I supplied was the latest version :P

It works OK for me. I just checked and I'm using mount-iso 0.9.1, you have to mount it with root though, so perhaps it's not working or not integrated with kdesu correctly?

Normally, when I mount, it prompts me with root password, and mounts fine. I remember one installation I did, that I got problems like yourself, but this was because it wasn't mounting as root.

You might want to remove, and reinstall again. The install routine offers a remove option.

Are you installing as regular user or as root user?

I'm going to test now on my machine, and find out which way it should be done to achieve the correct result.

EDIT:

I just installed as a regular user, and it works perfectly fine on my machine. I chose option 2 for using KDESU. This means that when I mount, I get prompted for root password. And when I unmount I'm also prompted for root password. I can also browse the image fine, so if you're installing as root, try removing your existing install, and install as regular user.

You're sure the ISO/NRG isn't corrupt in any shape or form?

Have you tried mounting manually using the command I gave, to see if the iso will mount that way?

Mine works both ways for iso's, dont' have any nrg's right now, but I can only think of corrupt iso if it's not mounting manually or with mountiso. I think the first time I did it and it failed, was because I installed as root, when you don't need to do this, as it updates the kde settings for the user you are installing it for.

Where is the ISO? On an NTFS partition? Try copying over to your Linux partition and mount from there. It might be having problems with NTFS. I've had problems with trying to access large files on NTFS partitions.

I´ve tried iso´s on fat32 and ntfs; i´ll give it a whirl from my home

edit:

yup that did it but I really like to mount from my other partitions because my mandriva install is too small for having dvd iso´s

Edited by ffi

I'm unsure what to suggest. I've moved completely away from Windows because of the problems I had with large files on FAT32/NTFS being unaccessible.

I don't know of a way to fix it, unless there is some sort of mount parameter that will get around it.