New computer freezes when installing Mandriva 2006

maparus

Just finished building my first computer. I wanted to have Mandriva only on the Hard drive so when I click to erase the Windows patition the screen freezes everytime. Also when I boot after the Asus logo fades away I get (Serial _CH0 master no device, Serial _CH1 master no device) followed by

Unknown Bios Error 0163. I was able to get the computer up and running and get on line by puting the hard drive back into my old computer install Mandriva 2006 then switching it back to the new one again. But every 5 minutes or so the screen would freeze up again and I would have to reboot and use it for 5 or 6 minutes again until it froze up again

Many thanks maparus

Asus K8X-X MOBO

Sempron 2800 64 bit CPU

512 mb. Crucial single sided ram

FX 5500 256 MB

80g Seagate HD ata100

Memorex CD rom

HP Cdwriter

400 watt Powmax PS

Try pressing ESC at the boot loader menu, and then:

linux noapic

and see if that makes it more stable. Also check your BIOS for a Plug and Play entry, and make sure this is not set to be controlled by the OS. This can affect hardware detection.

so when I click to erase the Windows patition the screen freezes everytime

Is this during the Mandriva install?

I would do a fresh install of Mandriva and reformat the entire drive to remove Windows.

Unknown Bios Error 0163.

You could have a hardware problem. I would first try clearing the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard.

Make sure plug and play is off in the bios. Did you make any bios adjustments? You may have tweaked the speed? Go back to defaults.

Asus K8X-X MOBO

Sempron 2800 64 bit CPU

512 mb. Crucial single sided ram

FX 5500 256 MB

80g Seagate HD ata100

Memorex CD rom

HP Cdwriter

400 watt Powmax PS

Thank you all for the suggestions

1. Plug and play is off

2. I typed Linux noapic and computer started showing a line of code then stoped at

"kernel panic -not syncing: no limit found try passing init = option to kernel"

then stopped with blinking curser

3. I tried clearing the CMOS yesterday

4. Yes it is during the Mandriva install When I get to to point where it asks if I want to erace the entire disk I click yes. Then a warning comes up sayin all existing partitions and their data will be lost on drive hda ( 74gb, st380011a) I click ok and the bar gets 3/4 of the way across then the screen freezes up

Could the serial _ch0 master no device and serial _ CH1 master no device be refering to sata hard drives? I'm using the hard drive out of my old computer that is ATA 100 not sata. According to Asus the K8V-X supports both

Also try "linux dma=off" and see if that helps. Can you check he drive with a manufacturer utility? I would be tempted to zero the drive and then install. Seagate has good tools.

Also try "linux dma=off" and see if that helps. Can you check he drive with a manufacturer utility? I would be tempted to zero the drive and then install. Seagate has good tools.

I'll try linux dma-off when I get home but I don't understand what it is you want me to do with

""Can you check he drive with a manufacturer utility? I would be tempted to zero the drive and then install.

Seagate has good tools.""

many thanks (a fellow Hoosier)

maparus

What he means is that the drive probably wasn't properly set up/formatted. It is well possible that the drive has some badly written clusters, which cause system instability and might even break your box completely. Harddrive manufacturers usually have some diagnostic tools available on their sites for download (most times some .iso files for a CD). With those diagnostic tools, you can check the physical status of your drive and the tool will report back if there are bad clusters and allow you to correct the drive.

One option to make sure a drive works well is by zeroing the drive. That means that all data will be overwritten with ... zeros ... that way, every cluster on your drive will get tested if it can be used for read/write access. Once the whole drive got filled, the diagnostic tool can find out if there is a ny cluster loss or not. If everything was zero's successfully, the drive should be ready for formatting and stable afterwards.

I hope I explained it right, if not, feel free to slap me, Ix. :D