VMware config problem [solved]

Currently this was running fine. Then something went wrong, and I don't know why. I've then run vmware-config.pl and it asks me this question:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

now this is where my kernel source is located. However, when I select it, I get this error message:

The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same address space size as your running kernel.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong. I was running 2.6.15-arch kernel, and then I'd done a "pacman -Syu", which then updated to 2.6.16-arch and it's not worked since this upgrade happened. And I can't go back, because the 2.6.15-arch kernel was removed as part of the upgrade. Bummer!

I also tried compiling my own kernel using 2.6.16.1 from kernel.org, and I did this and I still get the same problem. Unsure as to why either.

Any ideas, is this common, and how do I sort it? I've a feeling it's not distro specific perhaps.

I'm using vmplayer 5.5.x so I used the latest patch, and it worked a treat. It was odd that I never had to do it on the 2.6.15-arch kernel, but as soon as I tried the 2.6.15-archck or 2.6.16-arch kernel, I had to patch it.

At least it's working, just don't understand why I needed it.:P

• 3 months later...
Guest SuporteTecnicoID
Currently this was running fine. Then something went wrong, and I don't know why. I've then run vmware-config.pl and it asks me this question:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

now this is where my kernel source is located. However, when I select it, I get this error message:

The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same address space size as your running kernel.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong. I was running 2.6.15-arch kernel, and then I'd done a "pacman -Syu", which then updated to 2.6.16-arch and it's not worked since this upgrade happened. And I can't go back, because the 2.6.15-arch kernel was removed as part of the upgrade. Bummer!

I also tried compiling my own kernel using 2.6.16.1 from kernel.org, and I did this and I still get the same problem. Unsure as to why either.

Any ideas, is this common, and how do I sort it? I've a feeling it's not distro specific perhaps.

................................................................................

................................................................................

ok! Lets go then.....

O erro se refere a uma linha ( 1982 ) de comando dentro do arquivo : vmware-config.pl

na pasta /usr/bin

if ($header_page_offset =~ /[0-9a-fA-F]{8,}/) {

# We found a valid page offset

if (defined($gSystem{'page_offset'}) and

not (lc($header_page_offset) eq lc($gSystem{'page_offset'}))) {

if ($source eq 'user') {

print wrap('The kernel defined by this directory of header files does '

. 'not have the same address space size as your running '

. 'kernel.' . "\n\n", 0);

}

# return ''; ( coloque este # para comentar a linha e execute novamente o arquivo vmware-config.pl )

}

}