Win & ML dual boot issue

Guest duir66

I'm having a problem getting Windows on a friends box. I think I know what the issue is but I just wanted to throw it past you guys to see what you think.

His HD config is= c: is a 40GB formatted in fat32, his d: is a 10 GB with 9.1 rc1:D

rc1 boots & runs sweet. Its just that win won't go on the /mnt/windows. Yes, I told lilo to write to the MBR. I think on windows install it sees the MBR as a corrupted file.

I believe I can fix it by physically changing the jumpers on the HDs making the 10GB c: and the 40GB d:. Will I have to re-install Mandrake though? My guess is probably so.

The guy himself loves Mandrake but rest of family still needs win cause their not hip enough or something and he wants to use audio editing apps.

Thanks

Make sure you have a working linux boot floppy and try overwriting the MBR by booting with a windows boot floppy and entering the following command :

fdisk /mbr

See if the windows install will go. If it does, restore lilo by inserting MD install disk 1, rebboting, type F1 at the boot screen, then "rescue" w/o quotes at the prompt. Select restore bootloader and follow the on screen instructions. Reboot into Mandrake and either edit /etc/lilo.conf by hand to add windows to the boot menu or you can also do so in MCC>Boot>Boot Config>Configure>OK>Add.

Ok so are you having problems getting windows to install or mounting it in /mnt/windows?

Anyway.

To install windows just put a good old win98 floppy in the drive and at the prompt type 'fdisk /mbr' .. or something like that. Then install windows on your 40 gig HD and finally reinstall Lilo with the first cd of MDK.

If you are having problem with mount your 40 gig HD in /mnt/windows, try to do it manually:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda /mnt/windows

and see what the error will be. Is MDK see the first HD (hda) ?

I believe I can fix it by physically changing the jumpers on the HDs making the 10GB c: and the 40GB d:. Will I have to re-install Mandrake though? My guess is probably so. 

I don't get your problem really much but you don't need to reinstall MDK if you change the jumpers. MDK don't care where it is physically. This is just a matter to mount things at the same place but changing the device in /etc/fstab. So boot cd 1 and go to a terminal. Mount your hda (which is linux one the jumper are changed) in something like /mnt (mount -t ext3 /dev/hda /mnt) and modify fstab according to the new hardware config. Fstab will now be in /mnt/etc/fstab. If you want to reinstall the boot loader (while being there .. cause I don't think that bioses can look at the mbr of a second ide) do the following. Change the root file system to /mnt (chroot /mnt) and modify lilo to the new hardware config and run lilo (lilo -v). Now do 'exit' to return to the cd root system and 'reboot' to .. reboot.

Good luck !

Thanks Counterspy, we're doin' 9x anyway. But your right about 2k/xp.

Hey Cannonfodder, we were trying to use the win drive as c:, but lilo wrote to the mbr and the 9x install flipped out.

I'm just gonna try switching drives and make linux c:

Thanks anyway.