Local domain name not set

Guest LRC

I am a noob to Linux. I a having some probelms with respect to some internet features such as 'Mandriva update". The problem I discovered by running ypwhich -m which comes back with the message 'Local domain name not set.'. I am working with Mandriva 2006 using KDE desktop. Remember I am a noob, and the last time I used any command codes was DOS 5 about 20 yeaars ago.

Thank you. Worked beatifully. Now my problem is the Software Management Update feature, which is what gave me the original problem is having a problem connecting to Mandriva for the mirror sites so I can update myself. Do you know where I can get a hold of them so that I can do it manually?

Go to the easyurpmi site http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php and set up some mirrors. The site is quite self explaining. Select 2006, urpmi for your arcitecture (most propably i586, unless you use a Mac) and copy and paste the stuff that it will show you in a terminal as root user. Once everything is finished, type (still as root)

urpmi --auto-select

and Mandriva will automatically update your whole system.

PS: You can also update the system using the MCC (Mandriva Control Center), instead of the terminal, if you want.

Thank you. That is all the info I needed, and what I intended to do anyway. Boys you guysare goood. Gates could learn a thing or two about service. If thereis anything that sells me on Linux it is this. 5 minutes! I have waited over 5 days for a wrong answer for my problems with the worst OS.

The community has always been a Linux strength. And I guess most Linux users are a bit proud of being part of a friendly and helpful community. At least, I am. :)

Cheers! :beer: