Audio applications [solved]

satelliteuser083

Many thanks, Scarecrow. :D I've installed kmid, as suggested, but am presented with the following error-message when I either try to play a .mid file or select Settings/Midi Setup:

"Could not open /dev/sequencer to get some info.

Probably there is another program using it."

It's probably some simple adjustment, but I wouldn't know where to start. Have you any further tips? Thanks

Edit: Have just checked and cannot find either a folder or a file called '/dev/sequencer'

Probably your soundcard doesn't support midi (if it does you need to setup midi support for your soundcard, for a howto look in my sig). You need to install a software synthesizer like fluidsynth and an frontend like qsynth (to install: urpmi qsynth). After installation you need to point qsynth to a soundfont and after that you need to point kmid to fluidsynth.

For more information search the board for: Rosegarden

Good luck.

Have read a thread involving Rosegarden which suggested installing timidity. This I have tried to do but get the message

"Bad signatures: timidity-patch-freepats-20040611-1mdk; invalid key". Any tip on overcoming the problem? BTW, I used the following repositories (in Easy-Urpmi); could this combination be causing the problem?

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirro...i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirro...6/media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirro.../media/jpackage with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.easynet.fr/plf/mandrake/free/10.2 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.easynet.fr/plf/mandrake/non-free/10.2 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirro...5/main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

Thanks

Just ignore the bad signature and continue with installation.

Or you could try to change the mirror on which timidity is located and see if it helps.

Your rpm sources list is ok.

Edited by solarian

Just ignore the bad signature and continue with installation.

Or you could try to change the mirror on which timidity is located and see if it helps.

Your rpm sources list is ok.

Yes, solarian, took your advice, ignored the warnings and now timidity works. Many thanks (including devries and scarecrow, of course) :P