Understanding SAMBA

Jza

Sorry this should had been on networking

This is more to verify my knowledge that I picked up from reading samba how-to and poking around. I am using mandriva 2006 and so far this are some knowledge-doubt I got.

Samba is located on /etc/samba/smb.conf smb-winbind.conf

First doubt, how do I know which one is the one in use?

Smb.conf usually start with network definition, name and description of the server, also some programs for communication, as well as logs, printing and server authentication.

However more some specific doubts are the following:

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
[color=#FF0000]	#  guest account = pcguest[/color]
# Allow users to map to guest:
map to guest = bad user

so my question here is who is pcguest and whats the difference between nobody. For a windows user for example it will mean that even if he is on not authenticated to the samba server he will be able to get in? Or does it means that a windows 'guest' account will be able to get in? For example on 98 some users wont even bother creating a user, while 2000 will have a default guest users. As you can see I am totally lost here :wall:

Moving on....

The next part mainly talk about Domain controlers and Domain names and windows specific uptions for password synchronization and what not.

Then Samba users are stored in a Database, here is another question where I am not sure I get which database are they talknig about, LDAP is not really a database but might be aply in this case?

Thank for clearing this doubts, I still have some more but I will really need to just read more about it to be able to formulate an intelligent question.

Edited by Jza