2 bits of bad luck at the same time -_-

Guest philippe b

Guest philippe b

Hi ! When I tried to install Mandriva 2006 DVD two problems occured.

First, my mouse and my keyboard stop to work after few second of use. They are USB devices. Also, if I disconnect then reconnect my mouse it will work again for few second. These two device where working under mandrake 10.1 with my Intel Motherboard, but now I have an ASUS motherboard(A8N5X)... I decided to switch to Mandriva 2006 because I thought this problem could be fixed... Any idea of what the problem is and how to fix it?

Second, when I tried to install Mandriva 2006 I formatted all the partitions of my Mandrake 10.1, with the GRUB bootloader with it... Now, i can't use my windows XP because I dont have any bootloader and I can't reinstall the windows bootloader with Mandriva/mandrake... Is there someone who know how to reinstall it with the utilities on the windows XP CD ?

Goodbye !

P.S. Sorry for my bad english : P

Edited by philippe b

You should be able to boot the XP cd and then choose the Repair mode, and I think there is an option to get the boot loader back.

What happened when you booted the Mandriva CD to then run "linux rescue" and chose recover Windows boot loader?

Check in your BIOS for Plug and Play OS, and disable if this is being controlled by the OS. It needs to be controlled by the BIOS. That might help with the USB device problem.

Guest philippe b

Ok, so here what I did.

First, I searched for the Plug and Play OS setting. It was set to No. Next, I found USB Legacy Support wich was set to enabled... I switched it to disabled, but now I can't use my keyboard in the BIOS :unsure: .

Second, I used the repair option of the Windows XP professionnal. I typed the two following function : fixboot and fixMBR. None of them seem to have corrected the problem :mellow:.

Is there something to do ? :mellow:

Guest philippe b

OK, i've got back my keyboard under the BIOS ! :thumbs: I still need to recreate that Windows XP bootloader... When i'm trying to reinstall the Windows bootloader with the rescue utility of Mandriva, it tell me he can't find the last bootloader... or something like that. I can get you the right error message if you want to.

Guest philippe b

I've got 2 HD and windows is installed on the master hd. Mandrake linux 10.1 is on the slave HD, but i've formatted it with a new install of Mandriva 2006(wich is not complete due to some problem with my USB devices).

I cant't use Mdk rescue since the last bootloader doesn't exist anymore...

Right now I can log in my windows by booting from my windows cd-rom(dont touch any key when ask you to).

Guest philippe b

That worked fine :P, thanks Scarecrow ! I guess the bootloader on the slave HD wasn't fully removed ? Oh well... Now it's time to fix the "no device found" gived by the X org server when i'm trying to boot into KDE : ).

I have an Ati radeon x800 pro video card. Are they supported by Mandriva ? O_0. Hope so, since they have been out in the wild for a few month :P.

Guest philippe b

I've downloaded Mandriva Linux 2006 ISO for x86-32 (i586) and my processor is an Athlon 64 3200+. Maybe it's not the right ISO ?? It seem there's no DVD for the x86-64 version o_ 0. That's anoying since i don't have any CD left, only DVD :P.

I've never tried, but that only seems to be the only 64 bit version available, other than IA64 which is something completely different.

If you have problems, maybe download the normal 32 bit version. I've known people to use this on AMD 64 and found it worked just as good.