Fedora Core 5

Well, I can't get the driver to compile. I have installed the sources and various other packages that nvidia said was needed. But, no go. The module compiles but won't load. Maybe linux is not linux! :lol:

The build errors out. This may be why I left Fedora before! The nvidia installer won't work. I found a script patch that I also used. But, the machine insists it has the wrong sources. I found that cyber's method has a few problems. such as the files are no longer located where it says. I found them in testing. But, the mod was built against a previous version of the kernel sources, which I could not find.

Why would Fedora not use the nvidia installer? Why would they make it so fun to utilize a very well known driver? :lol2:

I have now followed three very different methods for getting nvidia drivers to run, and none have worked. This is a little like working with the old Mandrake circa 8.x. There is an initial kernel issue, but they have issued updated kernels several times. Ising the various kernels seems to limit some of the source methods, if the kernel is compiled against the wrong source for x! Fedora might be nice, but this is just not clean.

I am now convinved that Mandriva and others are on a better track for the general desktop. There is no way the average user is going to spend several days just installing a video driver. I am about to reinstall starting from the beginnning, since it is possible that the various guides could be creating a conflict. (One guide is in the nvidia forums!)

fedora cannot use the nvidia installer, as afaik the kernel distributed with fedora is very close to 2.6.16. nvidia, on all distributions requires a patch to compile with 2.6.16. it is an nvidia issue, that nvidia need to fix.

http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.c....viewcvs-markup

that's the patch required for 2.6.16 kernels.

go yell at nvidia for not making open source drivers..... :P

Edited by iphitus

Sorry, but the nvidia installer works for Mandriva, FreeBSD, DesktopBSD, kanotix, and others. I have ran those listed in just the past 90 days. Your pointing it to nvidia would only make sense if I could not make it work with other distros.

I have tried cyber's guide, a guide at Fedora (where I found the patch) and a guide at Nvidia. Nothing works for Fedora. I may have to start clean and just use one guide at a time. But seriously, there is no real excuse for this and blaming nvidia is off base. This is clearly a Fedora problem. They admit that their first issued kernel was a problem. (2.6.15-1054_FC5)

On the bright side, I have switched to grub. It is nice and guiish, and easier to edit. It tried to chain load Mandriva, but I made the correct entry without even looking at a manual! Another Fedora plus is that it loads the fstab with errors. (I have ntfs and rieser listed for two partitions but have not installed the modules.)

Sorry, but the nvidia installer works for Mandriva, FreeBSD, DesktopBSD, kanotix, and others. I have ran those listed in just the past 90 days. Your pointing it to nvidia would only make sense if I could not make it work with other distros.

No, it makes perfect sense when you read the post. Those other distros arent running 2.6.16, or were not when you tried. 2.6.16 only came out ~4-5 days ago.

I have tried cyber's guide, a guide at Fedora (where I found the patch) and a guide at Nvidia. Nothing works for Fedora. I may have to start clean and just use one guide at a time. But seriously, there is no real excuse for this and blaming nvidia is off base. This is clearly a Fedora problem. They admit that their first issued kernel was a problem. (2.6.15-1054_FC5)

On the bright side, I have switched to grub. It is nice and guiish, and easier to edit. It tried to chain load Mandriva, but I made the correct entry without even looking at a manual! Another Fedora plus is that it loads the fstab with errors. (I have ntfs and rieser listed for two partitions but have not installed the modules.)

It's a pity Fedora released a kernel that disallows nvidia. A shocking mistake. It happens though, maintainers make mistakes. If you look at fedora's track record, they're one of the better distros. Beating them down for one mistake really aint fair. Developers are humans too.

At least two sets of instructions have been linked to through this thread, and surely one of them will work. They have for others, and they should for most. If it didnt work, maybe an explanation or error message, would go a long way to helping know what went wrong. Because it's always possible you made a typo or some similar mistake, just like that developer who messed the kernel.

You keep mentioning that the nvidia-installer errors out on the compile, this tells me that you probably are running a 2.6.16 kernel. If you are, the nvidia installer will not work at all, and yes, it is nvidia's responsibility to update it. In the meantime, you can extract the installer, patch it, and run the installer script.

That's the only way the nvidia-installer will run on a 2.6.16 system.

James

Edited by iphitus

Well. I reinstalled and applied the patch (as I did before) and yes, this morning I am running 2.6.16-1.2074_fc5-i686. Most of the threads deal with x64 and I am thinking about using a differnt kernel. Possibly more attention is being given to x64 than "older" kernel architecture. But frankly, if I said none of the three methodologies which I tried has worked, then that means I tried three methodologies and they did not work! ;)

And I don't make mistakes. :lol2:

Despite the fact that I am telling the installer where the source path is, the installer insists that it can't find the sources! Today, it starts and builds the nvidia kernel, but then can't install it without the source path. Once a while back, I had to install the sources and configure them prior to using them for building (7.x days). Does Fedora need this? They are there. I may try to configure the original release kernel, but according to the nvidia forum, I should update the kernel.

Cyber's method is a full build upon the machine. I may have discovered that I indeed need to build the linux kernel as well. It seems silly, error or otherwise, to have to build a linux kernel just to install a driver. This is not some sort of esoteric hardware deployment; it's a video driver for an everyday card. There are some nice things about Fedora, and I have mentioned some, but I can't really get into it as long as my screen is shifted slightly to the right! (What it does with any native linux nvidia driver :lol:)

There are several reasons why you need to go the route of my how-to or verious other ones out there. Not everything is Fedora's Fault.

1.) The original kernel that shipped with FC5 is there fault, whoops, get the next one.

2.) Modular X, default nvidia.com installer need to pass location of modular X. You can either consider this nvidia's fault or xorg fault, or maybe FC for including it, but that would be a strech.

3.) Kernel 2.6.15-git4 and above, nvidia.com's installer needs a patch to build against the kernel. Again, this is either nvidia.com's fault or kernel.org's fault. A real strech to blame Fedora for having the latest kernel.

With all that, it is a lot cleaner to use the rpm method from livna since it doesn't muck up the kernel with crap and includes the patches and locations for what needs to be done. and sooner than later livna will have there own package out that will be an "EASY" install.

"yum install nvidia-something"

In the end, if nvidia.com was open source this would all be really really easy and there drivers would be much better, go bang on there door.

In cyber's second section where the kmod is built, the routine craps out asking for kernel sources matching 2.6.16-1.2069_FC5. This morning found ~2074. I can't locate ~2069. or I would simply use that kernel/sources and be done with this.

Well, I had to remove the newer kernel and use a routine at http://www.fedoraproject/people which updated to the ~2069 kernel and got nvidia going. I see now that yum only offers what is available for the running kernel, or kernels that are installed but not running. urpmi offers everything all the time. That is why I could not find the ~2069 version, which is what all of the kmod files are currently compiled against.

The fonts are nicer native in Fedora. I can't import any because this kernel does not have the kmod-ntfs available. The newer kernel did. But apparently packages change rapidly with this distro.