Firefox 1.5.0.1 problem

jethro

Hi everybody,

I have installed a .rpm of Firefox 1.5.0.1 from the SoS urpmi and it works fine. Because I'm running a new install I had to install some other things to like the wincodecs, vlc, mplayer, etc. Afther some installing Firefox isn't running anymore. When I start FF in a console I get the following error message:

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1/mozilla-firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1/components/libgfx_gtk.so: undefined symbol: g_intern_static_string
Thunderbird also isn't running anymore.

Does somebody know how to fix this?

Groetjes,

Jethro

Try renaming your hidden Firefox and Thunderbird folders in /home/username into e.g. .firefoxold and .thunderbirdold. Then restart Firefox. Hopefully that fixes your problem.

I get the impression that some important files got upgraded and will leave the rpm useless. If you can, try to grab a source rpm and rebuild it, if reinstalling does not help.

I think arctic has a good point, but what can I do about it. The SoS Firefox worked great for a while (on my other laptop it is still working fine) I just updated something which now messed things up. Is there a solution for this?

This one: http://seerofsouls.com/RPMS-2006/./mozilla...60.SoS.i586.rpm. I already updated the SoS urpmi-source but that doesn't change anything.

I downloaded Thunderbird from mozilla.com/thunderbird and it works fine now. The reason that I want a .rpm for Firefox is because I would like to install a vlc plugin and thinks like that using .rpm files. I use the file from mozilla.com/firefox to install firefox the plugin .rpm files keep saying that Firefox is missing.

OK, solution number 1:

Keep the "bad" SoS Firefox in place, install what plugins you want from RPM, and then install the mozilla.org tarball locally. By simply copying the contents of the RPM version /plugin directory to the local installation, they should work (or simply delete/rename the local /plugin directory and then create a symlink to the RPM one).

Solution number two:

Get the source RPM from Cooker (as suggested by Arctic) and build the RPM's yourself (you'll be asked installing a few devel RPM's, and it will take some time).

The source RPM name is mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1-2mdk.src.rpm and can be found in every Mandriva Cooker mirror ( say here).

Then

su -c "urpmi rpm-rebuilder"

And then, from the directory you downloaded the above src.rpm:

su -c "rpm --rebuild mozilla*.src.rpm"

(actually you can also rebuild as plain user, but it needs some work before).

Solution number 3: trying to find out why the SoS rpm craps out (likely a broken font, but it might be many things, so you will need debugging):

su -c "urpmi strace"

and then as plain user:

strace -o /home/jethro/mozerror mozilla-firefox

Then zip the "mozerror" debug file ( it's actually a large textfile) and upload it somewhere, so we can look at it.

Solution number four: Asking at SoS forum why their RPM bangs.

Edited by scarecrow

Why not try the Cooker rpm instead? i've used both the rpm from SoS and Cooker, and the one from Cooker runs with no complains on my machine. As for the rpm from SoS, I ran into different problems.

It *may* work once, but then you will attempt mixing Official and Cooker a second time, then a third, at at the fourth attempt you will simply have a borked system, needing cfdisking.

Why not try the Cooker rpm instead? i've used both the rpm from SoS and Cooker, and the one from Cooker runs with no complains on my machine. As for the rpm from SoS, I ran into different problems.

It *may* work once, but then you will attempt mixing Official and Cooker a second time, then a third, at at the fourth attempt you will simply have a borked system, needing cfdisking.

i see your point. But I'm only using Firefox from the Cooker-sources and I'am not tempted to use anything else. I must say that I was afraid at first that my system was getting borked with cooker rpms. But I've been using it for quite a while without any problems.

OK, solution number 1:

Keep the "bad" SoS Firefox in place, install what plugins you want from RPM, and then install the mozilla.org tarball locally. By simply copying the contents of the RPM version /plugin directory to the local installation, they should work (or simply delete/rename the local /plugin directory and then create a symlink to the RPM one).

That could be a solution, but I think its not the cleanest one. If nothing else works out I will try this one.

Solution number two:

Get the source RPM from Cooker (as suggested by Arctic) and build the RPM's yourself (you'll be asked installing a few devel RPM's, and it will take some time).

The source RPM name is mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1-2mdk.src.rpm and can be found in every Mandriva Cooker mirror ( say here).

Then

su -c "urpmi rpm-rebuilder"

And then, from the directory you downloaded the above src.rpm:

su -c "rpm --rebuild mozilla*.src.rpm"

(actually you can also rebuild as plain user, but it needs some work before).

I did this, now in "/usr/src/RPM/BUILD" there is directory named "mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1/". Now how do I actually run it?

Solution number 3: trying to find out why the SoS rpm craps out (likely a broken font, but it might be many things, so you will need debugging):

su -c "urpmi strace"

and then as plain user:

strace -o /home/jethro/mozerror mozilla-firefox

Then zip the "mozerror" debug file ( it's actually a large textfile) and upload it somewhere, so we can look at it.

If sol #2 doesn't work out I will try this one.

Solution number four: Asking at SoS forum why their RPM bangs.
I posted a message on their board, it might be of use for them.