Athlon-optimized kernels

I see that there are kernels optimized for i586 and i686 but my CPU is AMD Athlon 2000+ (Thorton).So is there any Athlon optimized kernels which will fit best to my CPU? And did the command "rpmbuild --rebuild --target athlon kernel***.src.rpm" do the same job as selecting Athlon optimizations instead i586 when compiling kernels? Thanks.

Ceco.

Your kernel is likely to work "better" with i686 compile flags, but the difference from i586 is/should be barely notiecable...

IMHO there's nothing to be gained by recompiling your kernel, put aside the valuable experience you will gain in rolling a kernel of your own- so go on, try it, and post the results. Personally I would love to hear if you see any speed improvement.

Regards.

I have recompiled "kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm" with "--target athlon" and i'm useing "kernel-multimedia-i686-up-4GB-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk-1-1mdk.athlon.rpm" now from that build.I've used "kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk-1-1mdk.athlon.rpm" but i don't know which is the best for my CPU. Why don't u recommend me a test point to do couse i don't know what to test ;)

I've been with "kernel-2.6.14.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm" recompiled with "--target athlon" too but definitely the multimedia kernel is faster than this one and the sistem is running better with 'mm' kernel.

I see but the real question is other.How to recompile the rpm.src to fit best to my cpu? ;)

I saw that there is an option "--rebuild athlon-xp-pc-linux-gnu" too.So it becomes more confusible and hard to choice!

Edited by Ceco