Disk / IDE driver...

jethro

Hi everybody,

When installing Mandriva 2006 I am forced to use the "noauto" option, because else it doesn't work. Now Mandriva asks me to select a "Disk / IDE driver" from a long list during the install proces. I do not know which one to choose here. I've tried several of them but it keeps giving me an error saying that there is no filesystem to use for installing. I am using a Toshiba Satellite A100-510 laptop. Can somebody tell me what disk driver to use or does anybody know a way to find this out?

Groetjes,

Jethro

With a celeron chip, I imagine it is an intel chipset, which means I can't understand why you would use noauto. Do you mean noapic/nolapic?

If I do not use "noauto" Mandriva hangs on the second screen during install. The first screen is the one where you can choose "enter" to install of "f1" for more options. If I just choose "enter" there appears a second screen. It's blue and has a pinguin in the background with the word "FREE". There also is a loading thinggie, but that doens't start loading and it hangs.

I tried this after your post:

"linux acpi=off nopcmcia"

"linux noapic nolapic acpi=off nopcmcia"

They both resulted in the same thing :(

Before this laptop I had a Toshiba Satellite M40-277 but it got stolen. The laptop I have now is supposed to be the same, only with some new hardware under the hood. With the M40-277 I had the same problem, but I though I made it work with "noapic nolapic", but that doesn't work now. I really hope somebody can help me out, because I love Mandriva....

If Knoppix works, then its a kernel issue... (Knoppix 5.0 uses kernel 2.6.15.4 while Mandriva is still at 2.6.12.X). There are some (still unofficial) newer kernels for it, but of course they are useless if you cannot install the OS before! :P

Not much you can do really if you explicitly need Mandriva... you can try the Cooker bootCD (it's a small, about 8MB long boot.ISO image) and attempt a netinstall which will bring you kernel 2.6.14, and/or enter the lappy BIOS and disable everything not needed in the first place (normally you cannot disable much on a laptop).

When using Alt-F3 on the screen that hangs I get this as the final line:

CM: warning, Card Services release does not match kernel (generally harmless)

I remember I had this same thing the last time and there was some kind of way of getting this to work, but I don't remember what it is...

Card services should refer to a multiadapter (pcmcia/card reader/firewire controller) which will not always work, but the message indeed seems nothing to worry about.
It worked before, so I don't see any reason for it to not work now. I'm really disappointed because after a few months Mandriva really worked exactly how I wanted it and then my laptop got stolen. I just had the laptop (and thus Mandriva 2006) for four months :(

I thought the installation would be easy this time, because I had some more experience. I didn't expect this problem to appear. I am willing to try almost anything to make Mandriva work again.

Can you boot up to a desktop with the latest mandriva liveCD?
Do you mean this one?: http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/downloads/mi.../mandrivaoneiso.

If you can enter X with the Mandy LiveCD then it's DEFINITELY a kernel issue... just grab the latest boot.iso from Cooker and use that one for a netinstall (it's quite easy, don't be scared!), or if the liveCD installer works, just proceed. Of course at the end you will have a glorious, buggy Mandriva Cooker installation, but I can't suggest anything better than that...

By "command" you possibly mean "uname -a" or not?