Can't even get started

Guest lolwhites

Guest lolwhites

Bear with me as I'm a newbie....

Downloaded Mandriva One from a mirror site and burned onto a CD.

Printed off installation instructions.

Went into BIOS and made CD-ROM top in the boot sequence - but when I boot up I still went staright to Windows - as though there were nothing in the CD drive. (nb my system is 18 months old and should be able to boot up from the CD-ROM, right?

Tried to create a Floppy Boot Disk but I can't find an install/images directory, only three folders called boot, isolinux and loopbacks.

I know it's probably something really obvious, but where am I going wrong?

Welcome aboard :)

The question is if you simply burned the iso image ONTO the CD or if you burned a CD FROM the iso image. The first one is useless and won't boot, the latter one should boot.

Did you burn the iso as an image? (to test boot into windows, put the cd in the drive and browse the content. If you see one big file you didn't burn as image. If you see different folders you burned ok but probably the content got damaged. Download again and/or burn at slower speed)

edit: looks like arctic beat me by 1 minute. I'm getting slow. :(

Guest lolwhites

I downloaded, extracted to a folder on the hard drive then burned onto a CD. The CD has 3 folders on it - boot, ,isolinux and loopback. Is that what it should say?

You hould not extract the iso file. You need to burn it as ONE piece, that is, as one iso-image, not as separate folders. Your burning tool should have an option somewhere for burning an iso-image to disk. Sometimes, it is pretty well hidden (depending on the software you use), so take a close look at your software menus.

Guest lolwhites

OK, so I burned the iso image with Nero, booted up, it seemed t install, asked me all the right questions, I got a lovely screen with pretty icons, everything seemed fine....

That was nearly 12 hours ago. The CD-ROM is still going nuts and won't open, while the system is pretty much frozen and the clock is stuck on about 10 hours ago. There are some open windows but they're empty.

ANy idea what it could be? Is it safe to switch off?

Does the machine react if you press ctrl+alt+backspace? You should be dropped to the login screen or a console promt. (from a console promt, you can reboot your system simply by pressing ctrl+alt+del (or log in as root and launch "init 6").

It seems that there is a problem with your graphical setup. What graphics card do you have?

Things you might try:

- Boot in no-fb mode (no framebuffer)

- if that fails, boot in failsafe mode, run at the first prompt:

init 3

then log in as root and launch

XFdrake to set up your gfx again. then reboot with "init 6" again.

Guest lolwhites

post-14369-1142773593_thumb.jpgNo response when I hit trl+alt+backspace or ctrl+alt+del. Not sure about my graphics card but the processor is a 2.4 Ghz Celeron D320 and the motherboard is Asus P4S800-MX - does that help?

Attaching a photo of my screen in case it helps - it's looked this way for hours.