Simple file sharing help needed [solved]

dude67

Greetings oh Great Linux Gurus!

I resently received very helpful advice from you guys regarding my Atheros chipset WLAN card set up, so I desided to ask for more advice... I have googled and search this site without a definitive answer to my problem.

What is the best means to share files over WLAN between two Linux PCs? The machines are both dual boots w/ WIN XP Home on the first partition, but I'm looking for a way to ditch MS Win all together. My first PC's distro is Mandriva 2006 and the other one has PCLinuxOS (PCLOS).

1) Would Lisa be sufficient or do I need to involve Samba or NFS? I have tried with all the above (Lisa, smb, nfs), but have been unable to share files between these to linux.

2) If lisa is enough, what do I need to do to make it work? I believe I have lisa up and running as this is what I get from console:

[root@linuxpurkki ~]# lisa -v

This is the LAN Information Server LISa 0.2.3
It is free software according the GNU General Public License
Copyright (c) 2000-2003 by Alexander Neundorf
email: neundorf@kde.org

[root@linuxpurkki ~]#

But it still returns this following error (dialog window) when I try to connect to Local Network with Konqueror (choose the -> lan:/ network folder from device:/):

The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running.
In order to use the LAN Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the system administrator.

I've tried restarting lisa, but no help:

[root@linuxpurkki ~]# service lisa restart
Stopping lisa:												  [  OK  ]
Starting lisa:												  [  OK  ]
[root@linuxpurkki ~]#

3) I have managed to let the Mandriva take control of PCLOS (Remote control through MCC) so I know I can make these two PCs communicate with each other.

- I had to stop firewall on the PCLOS to let the Mandriva take control over it. With lisa (or with samba/nfs), do I need to configure shorewall to let something pass ? If so, what and how? I don't want to let my firewall down - I wouldn't want to do it even temporarily, if not required.

Again, thanks for all the help you provided for my earlier problem.

Any advice and hints are very welcome and appreciated. :)

if sharing only between linux OS, you can do it with sftp or fish. Open up your file browser (konque or nautilus) then at the address bar, just type

sftp://ip-add-of-other-linux-pc

or

fish://ip-add-of-other-linux-pc

it should prompt you a username and password, then you can enter the username and password you have on that pc, but before that, make sure that sshd runs as a service ( but usually the default install has it already)

once you entered the username and password correctly, it then bring you to the home folder of that user... and then you can just do what you want..sharing files, delete files, move files, rename files.. of ourse, you cant touch those files that needs root account.

SSH uses port 22, so you need to allow access through shorewall if it's enabled. Lisa is just a network neighbourhood app as far as I know, so wouldn't do anything for you. It does consume a lot of resources, so if not using, best to remove.

Sharing linux to linux, I use ssh or ftp for file transfer. To Windows, you need samba to gain access.

OK, thanks for the heads-up Ian - I stopped lisa.

If I read you two right, I can download files from my PCLOS to my Mandriva simply by typing "sftp://192.168.254.1" and going from there. What's the difference between sftp and fish (what is fish?).

Anyway, neither is working for me as I still get the same error message, even though I've disabled shorewall ssh-protection from both PCs and eventually I disabled shorewall all together. No help.

What am I missing here?

Edited by dude67

If you've not got ssh installed:

urpmi ssh-server

then afterwards:

service sshd start

should allow access. These are the Mandriva commands, but similar for pclos most likely.

Brilliant!

I've managed to make it work!

Even though I had the sshd installed, it wasn't running. The

service sshd start

did the trick.

Thanks again guys; works now great!

My :fedora:'s off to you!

-----------------------

I'm learning something new everyday.