upgrade mandriva

kwlam

I am using mandriva 2005. If I want to upgrade to 2006, is it better to use upgrade or new installation? I am afraid that if I use upgrade, the software may be work and it occupies more harddisk. But if I can use upgrade, it would be simpler as I need not reinstall the software and backup the files. Can anybody share his experience?

The common guidance is to do a fresh install, as sometimes doing an upgrade can cause issues - but I've personally never experienced any.

Consider making a seperate partition for /home in the future so that you can save user settings and files by not reformatting it when doing new installs.

tyme is putting you on the right track. In fact, if you have the space on your hard drive, you could make a /home partition using the Mandriva tool, and it will copy everything into the new partition for you. Then, do a fresh install and do not reformat the /home partition during the install. Mandriva will intuitively not offer to format your /home partition if it is a seperate partition. That way, you can keep all personal settings intact, as well as save any data you wish to keep. Note, however, that this method will require reinstalling programs. It is impossible to save the data in the /usr directory (where the programs are) without reformatting it in a clean install.