usb and multimedia

kwlam

I have installed the mandriva 2005 LE. I do not know how to install the usb drive. For the cdrom and floppy, it install automatically. How about the usb driver?

I cannot open vcd with totem or kaffeine. I can watch wmv with totem but cannot watch rmv. I installed a newer version of xine and xine-ui and I can watch vcd. It seems that something is wrong with totem and kaffeine. What is the problem? Also, how to watch rm or rmv? I tried to installed realplayer 10 but it does not work. Please kindly help me.

For the video, you need to do this:

urpmi xine-win32

this should install the xine-win32 and win32-codecs. Make sure you have all easyurpmi sources configured, main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree, since you need plf to get the win32-codecs. You may also need to install libdvdcss to get DVD's, etc, to work with kaffeine. Similar command just:

urpmi libdvdcss

As for the usb stuff, HardDrake service should be enabled to make sure it picks them up. If you're having problems, reboot with the usb devices connected, and let it detect the hardware. Then after that you should be fine.