Automatic updates script [solved]

Hi.

I read posts about this thread on this forum, I just want to take them a bit further.

System Updates Startup-Script [solved], How could I do this?

Auto update

1. I want to configure my computer to check for updates daily (that is explained in those threads above, consider this one solved)

2. I want to get mail with other msec security warnings daily (it would be better if i get them in the same mail as those, not in a new one) with all packages that were updated, and if some server could not be contacted, I can run update manually or if the server has been dropped out permanently, I can pick a new one from Easy-Urpmi

3. I want to set urpmi not to update packages which contain text like "kernel", "kernel-source", "irssi" etc. because I want to update them manually if there's any need for them

I were thinking that the script would look like this:

urpmi.update -a
urpmi --auto-select --auto --skip kernel kernel-source irssi

Is it right?

And what about that mail? A log file would be another option.

PS. This is all about learning, just want to learn a bit more of these things.

edit: [solved]

Thanks.

-Murda

Edited by Murda

My script just reads:

urpmi.update -a
urpmi --update --auto-select --auto

and works perfectly fine for me. Set in /etc/cron.daily. Once script has been created, don't forget to:

chmod +x scriptfilename

Of course, incorporate the skip for things you don't want to update. kernel-source is the only thing to update, kernel will not.

2. it´s saver not to send security reports over the internet (these are not encrypted in anyway). Better use a local mail folder. So in te MCC instead of your email adress put your username and in your mail program (for example kmail) create a local mail acount (so not pop3 but local).

3. In /etc/config/urpmi (or something like that, can´t check the correct path right now) there is a blacklist where you can add packages that won´t be updated.

2. it´s saver not to send security reports over the internet (these are not encrypted in anyway). Better use a local mail folder. So in te MCC instead of your email adress put your username and in your mail program (for example kmail) create a local mail acount (so not pop3 but local).

Actually, my msec sends those reports to a local mailbox. I have postfix up and running. I've configured that in MCC to send them to "murda", not "murda@somewhere.net".

I'm sorry that I didn't mention this before.

But the question still remains, how can I put those reports that urpmi gives to my mailbox?

Thanks, Murda.

Normally, you need to update /etc/aliases so that root: is pointing to murda. Then run /usr/bin/newaliases. Then it will end up in your mailbox.

But how do i make that urpmi installation output to go to that mailbox? root is already pointing to a mailbox named murda. Is there a local folder somewhere where I could dump log files and they appear as mail?

I just found out that i don't need any information about installed packages. Msec runs a Diff check every night and reports those packages that have been modified, installed or deleted.

The only thing now that would be nice is getting those error messages to a mailbox. Or is msec doing that too? At least i've never seen a mail like that (got some errors though when updating manually, but never seen a mail notifying me about that). I've been looking for this all around MCC but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.

-Murda

As far as I know, when /etc/cron.daily runs it's job, the output gets sent to the root mailbox, which is then redirected to murda.

If it's not, check your /etc/crontab to make sure it's emailing to the correct place.

I don´t think I understand what mail you´re talking about. You want the diff and secuity mail send not to your local mail folder but to an external mail box? Then just put in a normal email adress instead of your username. Or forward the mail in the local mail box to an external mail adress.

As far as I know, when /etc/cron.daily runs it's job, the output gets sent to the root mailbox, which is then redirected to murda.

If it's not, check your /etc/crontab to make sure it's emailing to the correct place.

Ok, I'll do that. I tell you how it worked out in a few days.

Ok, i have that update script in /etc/cron.daily/update.cron.

It has -rwxr-xr-x like everything else there.

Yesterday i used

urpmi --auto-select

to see if there's anything that needs updating. There was packages like tar and unzip. I didn't update them. I just put the auto update script to cron.

Today I used it again. It says "everything has been installed" (translation from finnish), but the report e-mail didn't tell me anything about it. Maybe tomorrow..

Today I used it again. It says "everything has been installed" (translation from finnish), but the report e-mail didn't tell me anything about it. Maybe tomorrow..

Ok, today it gave me a Diff report to my mailbox. Not what I was looking for but it'll do.

Consider this one solved.

edit: some spelling mistakes.

-Murda

Edited by Murda