Simulated Duplex printing?

Guest cid

Is there an easily configurable option to "duplex print" on a non-duplex printer by printing all the odds, turning the job over, and turning all the evens.

My lexmark (gone) and Epson had this feature, where you would simply select duplex printing, it would print half the job, tell you to turn the papers over, and hit enter, and print the back sides.

Does this functionality exist within Linux?

D

It's a driver function...though it's a pretty simple little trick, as all it is is:

1. Print odd pages.

2. Notify user to flip stack of paper over.

3. Print even pages.

So I thought there might be a simple cups trick or something to do the same.

D

Why is it a pain with PDF? I do it all the time, I tell the program to print all the odd pages, flip them all over, and then tell it to print all of the even pages. Admittedly, I'm using acroread, maybe xpdf doesn't allow you to do this. Depending upon how your printer outputs paper (printed side up or down) you might have to use "Reverse order" on the second run through.

Because with the HP open source driver hpijs and numerous other complications of printing, scanning and copying, printing the odd pages and turning them over results in printing the even pages over the top of the odd pages sending you back to square 1. You must turn the pages over one at a time to get the even pages on the back of the odd pages and then put the stack in the printer, unless someone has a brilliant solution I have overlooked.

Counterspy.

Forgive my ignorance, but I just don't see how that is possible. If the printer is printing the paper on one side, then all you have to do is have it print the second page on the other side.

Now, some printers have wierd paper paths that turn paper upside down and even around (laser printers, for example), so perhaps your multi-function one does too.

Now, I'm sure you're pretty familiar with your printer, but here is what I would do....

1. get a pen, and put an arrow pointing to one edge of the paper, put it into the paper supply with the arrow on top, and pointing towards the wherever the paper outputs. Then I'd print something and see if what prints overprints the the arrow, and starts at the edge that the point of the arrow points to. If it doesn't, then you'll know that you have a strange paper path.

Once you've figured out which way you should load the paper, the only thing that you should have to change is the way that it is collated.... generally, if the paper feeds face down (so that when you pick it up it's in 1, 2, 3, 4 order), then you want to reverse the order on the second run-through --- if it prints face up (so that when you pick it up it's in 4, 3, 2, 1 order) you don't use Reverse.