missing kernel resource

Guest kunal

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk-i686-up-4GB/build M=/home/kunal/io modules

make: ***/lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk-i686-up-4GB/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

make: ***[default] Error 2

I am using a Makefile that refers to the 'build' directory and when i traverse to the location, I find that "build" directory or file doesnt exist.

I was reading on one of the forum, and saw something about "urpmi" command but it is not a recognized command.

Similary, I am missing the libraries under /usr/src...I only see "RPM" folder here and there is no "linux*" folder that is supposed to include libraries.

Please help and give detailed instruction. I have the CDs but dont really know what to install...

Thank you.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

open a terminal, use the "su" program to change to root:

$ su
Password: [input your root password that you set at install]

then do this:

urpmi kernel-source

then try building the program.

alternatively, the program you are trying to install may already be available in RPM format. Go into the Mandriva Control Center, into programs, and into install programs and search for it. Also adding more repositories through is a good idea, follow the easy-urpmi link at the top of the page to get more. Be sure to su to root when using urpmi.

Thank you for the responses. i am trying to load (compile) drivers for http://pc104.winsystems.com/products/pc104/pcmuio96a.html

and the makefile within the downloadable zip file for 2.6 kernel refers to the "build" file/directory. When doing so, I get the above stated error. I have tried using urpmi but it is not a recognized command. i also did a "man urpmi" and no entry was found.

@ kunal: urpmi is Mandriva- specific. If you don't use Mandriva/Mandrake the command does not exist.

When I try to install s/w thru the console, the console tells me that it is MandrakeLinux 10.2...

Either way, please help as to how to compile the drivers mentioned above...

If it is MandrakeLinux 10.2 the urpmi command does exist, but it seems that you tried to run it as unpriviledged user ( notice the above tip for doing "su" before ).

kernel-source should exist on the installation CD's, else you must donload and install from the net the version that matches EXACTLY your running kernel.

Open a ROOT console, and type in

uname -a

What's the output?