Mandriva integrated online music shop!

solarian

From Slashdot.org ->

"Mandriva 2006 is to be the first Linux distro to offer built in online music service. The service will compete with the likes of emusic.com for the music business of Linux users. I have not used Mindawn before, but the service is offered in Ogg Vorbis and FLAC."

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/02/25/1419224.shtml

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/company/pres...through_mindawn

This is so cool! :thumbs:

Let's hope it turns out usable and good.

p.s. At any case it's a fantastic PR move from Mandriva :o :end: :lol:

Edited by solarian

An interesting marketing move. But I don't know if it will be that attractive. I knew absolutely no music-band hosted at mindawn. :huh:

Another question is: is the software someone gets there really that cool that it will attract the masses? I haven't seen a piece of it yet and ogg and flac can be played on almost every music player like rhythmbox.

Anyway, a good marketing move, but they need to use this "advantage" now aggressively in any marketing they want to do, much like Apple and its iTunes.

True, I didn't recognize any band I know too, and I'm pretty much into obscure, unknown neofolk, folk and darkwave music.

But, as we both understand, it's good for marketing AND it may help some indy artists to promote themselves.

An interesting marketing move. But I don't know if it will be that attractive. I knew absolutely no music-band hosted at mindawn. :huh:

Another question is: is the software someone gets there really that cool that it will attract the masses? I haven't seen a piece of it yet and ogg and flac can be played on almost every music player like rhythmbox.

Anyway, a good marketing move, but they need to use this "advantage" now aggressively in any marketing they want to do, much like Apple and its iTunes.

That player is only to listen to the songs before paying. After you bought them you can listen\do whatever you want with your music, I think it's fair.

About the selection: well it's clear to me that big music companies (Sony Music, Vivendi etc) are ignoring and will ignore Mandriva and this site is not and probably never will be for MTV addicts, but there are more small music labels that are open to the new ways of selling music so this is just a first step, a small but important one and hopefully more will follow.