After fresh install - Kernel Panic - not syncing

shay

Normally, this means a problem with the configuration of the boot loader. Try booting from the first CD, and then type "linux rescue" without the quotes. Then go to the command prompt.

Type:

fdisk -l -/dev/hda

and report back with what it says. If it doesn't list anything, replace hda with sda if you are using sata/scsi drives instead of ide.

We will need to mount the partition, and rerun the boot loader, so I just need to see your partition layout, and go from there.

Alternatively, there is an option on the menu that appears, so instead of going to command prompt, choose option for mounting all your partitions, and then we need to find under /mnt where the etc directory exists. Do an ls /mnt and then report back what it gives.

Type:

fdisk -l -/dev/hda

I used the first CD.

I clicked the F1 when first loaded and typed "linux rescue"

I got a "DOS" menu. I choose the command prompt (or something like that)

I got a screen with " Mandrake linux Rescue Disk"

I typed

fdisk -l /dev/hda

and I get

Disk /dev/hda: 729MB, 729313280 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 22 cylinders

Unit = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes

Disk /dev/hda doesnt contain a valid partion table.

In the installtion I did not mark the option to copy the 3 CD to the HD.

Ist ok ?

You don't need to copy the CD's to the hard disk, this would take up too much space anyway.

Your hard disk is only 700MB is this correct?

You might have a problem to get a full install working correctly, so would suggest installing as minimal as possible, you'll see from the installer screen how much space it'll take when installed.

If you're sure you have more space than this, what kind of hard disks do you have? Just ide, or sata as well? I think however you'll not be able to install very much at all to get your machine up and running on just 700MB hard disk drive.

When using the mount option in the GUI I get this:

=> found a Mandriva Linux root partition on /dev/hdc1

=> type ext3, version 'Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 official) for x86_64'

Mounting other partitions from fstab on /mnt

hdc6 on /mnt/home type ext3 options defaults

Your system is ready on /mnt

What does it mean?

Your hard disk is only 700MB is this correct?

No its a 40GB IDE

There is another 80GB Sata that I will need to set its driver once the system will be up and running.

Currently the Sata is not been recognized (known issue as I learned so far)

OK, now check in /mnt and see if a directory called etc exists. If so, do this:

chroot /mnt
/sbin/lilo

and see if it writes the bootloader correctly this time. It could be a boot loader problem. Your partitions are there it seems, so not sure what's happened with the partitions not being listed with fdisk.

Normally fdisk should report the disk information correctly, it seems it's not being, and when you used fdisk, it showed above 729MB which is why I questioned it.

I would honestly, boot the system again with the installer in gui mode, go into custom partitioning to see what it has done, then delete all that is there, and then do a complete new installation.

OK, now check in /mnt and see if a directory called etc exists. If so, do this:

chroot /mnt
/sbin/lilo

and see if it writes the bootloader correctly this time. It could be a boot loader problem. Your partitions are there it seems, so not sure what's happened with the partitions not being listed with fdisk.

Normally fdisk should report the disk information correctly, it seems it's not being, and when you used fdisk, it showed above 729MB which is why I questioned it.

I would honestly, boot the system again with the installer in gui mode, go into custom partitioning to see what it has done, then delete all that is there, and then do a complete new installation.

Did not do the trick.

I have the feeling that I will need to install it again.

I saw some stage structure of partitions.

I will report ;)

I have a Q.

I am new to Linux.

As suggested I am using the custom partition GUI.

I used all the disk space for type ext2.

at the end I mount it. When I clicked "Done" I was asked if I would like to continue without a swap partition.

I am guessing that I should have that I kind of partition.

Should I let the install to create all partition, meaning that I will delete them all or there is a custom recommendation.

The IDE drive (this current) is 40GB.

I have another SATA 80GB that is not accessible right now. It will be after I will install the driver, which will be possible only after I will have an installed system.

Thanks,

BIG OOPS.

I did not notice for the "Auto Alocate". starting to insall right now :)

Edited by shay

The auto-allocate is OK, but it creates a swap file based on your disk space and how much memory you have installed. Sometimes it's not ideal. Also, it defaults to using ext3 as the filesystem, which is OK.

ext2 is the same as ext3 except without journaling. Journaling helps your filesystem recover after a crash. If you choose custom, you can choose reiserfs which is what I use for all my file systems. Also there is jfs and xfs, but I tend not to use either of these now. xfs is really only good for systems that will use large file sizes, multimedia stuff mainly. I find reiserfs works good on all counts.

A swap partition should be minimum 512MB and normally doesn't need to be bigger than this. I run 1GB on mine, but that's just because I felt like it :P

It doesn't work in the same way as Windows, where Windows worked best with the paging file being double your ram. For Linux this rule doesn't always apply, although normally they recommend double your ram for it. At least what I learnt for my Red Hat certification.

update.....

I installed it all form scratch.

Before I started the installation I changed the devices order so the HD will be on the Primary First bus and the DVD-RW on the primary Second bus ( I read something about the way Linux 'like' it)

The bottom line I get the same kernel panic.

However...

When I am typing

fdisk -l /dev/hda

I get all the patitions list which seems ok now:

Device boot Boot .... Start End Id system

/dev/hda1 * 764 6136798+ 83 Linux

/dev/hda2 5005 34065832 5 extended

/dev/hda5 904 1124518+ 82 Linux sawp / Solaris

/dev/hda6 5005 32941251 83 Linux

When running the /mnt from the GUI I get

=> found a Mandriva Linux root partition on /dev/hdc1

=> type ext3, version 'Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 official) for x86_64'

Mounting other partitions from fstab on /mnt

hdc6 on /mnt/home type ext3 options defaults

after that when running

chroot /mnt
/sbin/lilo

I get

Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist. Disk Scan bypassed.

Added linux *

Added linux-nonfb

Added failsafe.

Back to the GUI => reboot.

loading in save mode and get the same error.

What should I do from here.....

More information......

When running in failsafe mode, I see some errors regarding the ext3

After the line

mounting root filesystem /dev/root

There is this line with the error:

mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags default.

Then few more lines of error regarding different tries to mount it(without options flags & without any flags).

I hope that help to understand the problem.

Edited by shay