please suggest a good FTP prog [solved]

solarian

Hello!

I wonder if there is an ftp prog for Linux that automatically decides if the file is to be uploaded binary or ascii.

I have to update a few Gallery (php app) versions on several locations and that prog is one heavy messed up thing.

It's good, but there are lots of files and in one subfolder there are binary files in another - ascii,

so it's a real pain to upload each folder more or less manually.

Any suggestions?

I've been using gFTP, if you know any better ftp prog, please do tell,

I have to work a lot with FTP in my daily tasks.

Thanks!

Edited by solarian

gFTP is what I used to use, and it always set ascii or binary automatically. If it's not doing that for you, perhaps you should check the settings for the program. Now I use Nautilus (gnome file manager) since it has ftp support, and IIRC so does Konqueror.

I've used kftpgrabber under kde which is OK. The only thing I've not managed to solve is that when I go to transfer something, it just gets queued without starting.

I did change an option which kind of sorted it out, but you can start it manually as well. I too also use gftp as well. You can get filezilla to work under wine, although a bit buggy but tends to work OK. Can't wait for them to release a Linux version of it. It's a cool ftp app.

Just tried kftpgrabber and I've got to say -> it is one ugly, buggy, needlessly hard to use piece of shit :angry2:

Based on Kbear I presume.

--------------

I'll try Krusader, use it for local browsing, maybe it's good for the net too. :)

Edited by solarian

• 2 months later...

I want to learn to use ftp under linux to send some html files, and pics to my folder on my ISP server. A while back I was learning basic html, and used ws_ftp on my winbox to upload to the server. I was able to figure ws_ftp out pretty good.

Is gftp similar? I thought cuteftp was a free prog, but I guess its not. What's the simplest, basic ftp client for mandriva 2006?

Also, tyme's post (post #2) sounds like kde & gnome have integrated ftp support.... ??

Try either gFTP or Kasablanca (kasablanca is a KDE app),

I've found them to be the best and most easy to use

p.s. sorted out my gFTP problem, I had an antique version or something back then.......

Edited by solarian

It sounds like you already know KBear and don't like it then?

It's what I use, and works fine for me. The only thing it can't quite do right is the "Synchronize current directory" bit, because it refuses to navigate into my /home directory from there. But normal dragging of multiple files or directories works fine.

thanks, I guess I'll try gFTP when I get ready to play around with it. I never heard of kbear, except that its my wife's email name (kbear@....).

Right now I'm taking a college elective course on Web Page Design. Its mostly just learning the basics of html-4, xhtml & css. It doesn't require putting your files on the web, just on your local machine. However, I want to learn ftp anyway. Next elective course will be the same thing, but Advanced.

Any html or css questions, I'll probably come here to the programming forum.

kbear definitely was bad. I hated the way it adjusted my toolbar, so removed this.

Since mentioning kftpgrabber in this post, I have to retract my first message because it really is pants. I thought it was just the odd glitch, but it seems far worse. I was transferring files not so long ago, and it would just close automatically without even finishing. Assume it crashed. gFTP is what I normally use but was having problems with that too, but it's working perfectly fine now, can only think certain files can cause problems with this client too.

Midnight Commander is also a good alternative for ftp, although the command to get it to connect isn't quickly intuitive.

I'll have a look at kasablanca now, and see how that performs.