Unable to browse the net with Mandriva 2006 Free

Guest Damon

Hi everyone! I hope some one will b able 2 get m outta jail! I've installed Mandriva 2006 Free Edition,everything went smooth,apart of firmware problem with my Prism64 WIFI card ,but that can b easily overcome.The huge problem is ,that I can't reach any URL or IP address with any browser or on command line.My Internet connection is dial-up modem "Netcomm roadster 2" ,which was correctly recognized by Mandriva. My computer is plain old vanilla Athlon Xp 3000 with 2 gig RAM,nic is as mentioned before is WIFI handled by Prism driver,direct internet connection through dial-up modem,firewire ,USB Bluetooth dongle,USB infrared dongle.

Network script has the line: "peerdns",primary and secondary DNS servers lines in resolv.conf. Route -n returns a line with ppp0 default gateway IP,ifconfig ppp0 confirms P-T-P IP address and yet I am unable to ping anyone,let alone browse the net. I've removed Shorewall and IPtables packages with no effect. I have SuSe 10 on second HDD of the same machine and I am using it to type this message.

Has anyone come across similar kind of problem?

ipv6 sometimes causes network connectivity issues. This can be disabled in two ways. One is add the following to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

and the next way is to delete /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit0 file. The next thing is that some network cards have problems with apic. So, go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Boot/Boot Loader. Within here there is an option you can enable to disable apic. Reboot, and you may find that your networking starts to co-operate.

ipv6 sometimes causes network connectivity issues. This can be disabled in two ways. One is add the following to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

and the next way is to delete /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit0 file. The next thing is that some network cards have problems with apic. So, go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Boot/Boot Loader. Within here there is an option you can enable to disable apic. Reboot, and you may find that your networking starts to co-operate.

First of all,thanx ian1974 for a prompt reply.Unfortunately,none of the three suggestions seemed to have worked. There is a strange entry in syslog-namely:"Recievied bad config-ack" and "compressed packet dropped" Now ,I don't have any firewall running, as I have uninstalled Shorewall an IPTables.I've removed my WIFI NIC and rebooted,but it made no difference.I run traceroute and it it stops on the very first hop.I would have thought that my machine is pretty ordinary garden variety hardware,the maddening fact is that Open SuSe 10 worked straight out of the plastic cover of Linux magazine,with exeption of WIFI card,but this was taken care of on the very first update! I didn't even had to look for firmware on Prism site,not that I wasn't prepared to. All in all it is a shame,Mandriva looks great.It has got this very polished look, almost like Solaris,and with Open Solaris I was able to connect to Internet on the same machine using the very same hardware,allbeit, I had to dig out a script for modem connection. I am convinced that it is my fault,and I am not giving up! Thanx again for a qwick reply.

Sincerely,Damon Ramirez