won't boot, relocation error after updating

Guest weebo

Hi,

I just performed an update to my system (10.1 community), main, security and bugfixes. All packages were installed succesfuly, however, I could not open any applications after the update process had completed (a massive 22 hour download - I'm stuck with a dial up conection!!). Rebooting gets as far as the root filesystem check and then fails as follows:-

/fbin/fsck: relocation error: /fbin/fsck: symbol __sprintf_chk, version GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

There is an offer to repair the error, when accepted this also fails and generates the above line then drops to a shell. After entering the root password I get a prompt, (Repair filesystem) 1 #

Unfortunately I don't know how to to proceed from here, my confidence with the command line is growing steadily but I'm very much still a novice :-)

So all suggestions are most welcome!!

Many thanks!

10.1 Community was known to be buggy, are you sure it's Community and not Official?

Anyway, that aside, we need to find out your partition info so try this command:

fdisk -l /dev/hda

or if sata or scsi type sda instead of hda. Partition info will be listed. I don't know what partitions you have, so the command for fixing them will be something like this:

fsck /dev/hda5

so you can then do this afterwards based on what partitions you have from the fdisk -l command I gave before. Of course, hda5 could be different depending on how your system is set up.

First things first, thanks for your reply.... The version I installed about 18 months ago was definately 10.1 community and my splash screen still thinks it's 10.1 comm., but I've just noticed during the last (failed) boot immediately before "press I for interactive setup" there is a Welcome to Mandrakelinux 2006.0 line!

I've done as you suggested to no avail, here's the output of fdisk -l, my disc is hde (a quirk of using the ata100 on my motherboard).

Device Boot Start end Blocks ID System

/dev/hde1 * 1 12190 61433728+ 83 Linux

/dev/hde2 12191 59582 23885568 5 Extended

/dev/hde5 12191 13205 511528+ 82 Linux swap

/dev/hde6 13206 59582 23373976+ 83 Linux

After running fsck /dev/hde1 we get....

fsck: relocation error: fsck: symbol __printf_chk, version GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file lib.so.6 with link time reference (i.e. the original bootime error)

Similarly running fsck /dev/hde2, fsck / dev/hde5 and fsck /dev/hde6 gives exactly the same message.

I'm very interested to hear what you make of it!!!!

Edited by spinynorman

OK, do you have the Mandrake/Mandriva CD1 or DVD? If so, boot from this, and type "linux rescue" this will get you to a menu where you choose go to command line.

Then, try doing the fsck /dev/hdax after this to fix the drives.

It could be when booting from the distro itself there is a problem. Whereas using the CD should be fine. It could be an update broke something which is why you can't run the command.

Hmmm.....

Yep, I understand your logic - sounds good - I've got disk one in, have booted sucessfully from it, found the console and am currently root@rescue / . However, bash returns fsck : command not found so unfortunately I'm stuck again!

Borked glibc.

Reinstall it (or upgrade, or force downgrade, whatever works...).

I'll reinstall if I must (I've just ordered up the 3cd set of 2006...) but it seems like a bit of a windoze(:puke:)-style solution to me. Still,look on the bright side eh? This installation was rock solid for about a year and a half which is about 20 times better than microsnuffed :P

btw I like your little linux is for capitalists pic - Can I use it too?

With regards to the fsck not working when booting disk 1. You might actually have to type:

/sbin/fsck /dev/hdax

because path statements won't be loaded allowing you to just type it without.

With regards to the fsck not working when booting disk 1. You might actually have to type:

/sbin/fsck /dev/hdax

because path statements won't be loaded allowing you to just type it without.

You're right about the path statements not being loaded... Still wouldn't run fsck though! This led me to look in sbin and fsck is not there. There's other stuff though, e2fsck, fsck.ext2 and fsck.ext3 so I ran each of them and they each reported that all partitions I tested were clean!

I wonder (since glibc 2.3.5 is now available - and may have been installed as part of the update I did) if there's something which is still expecting glibc 2.3.4 and therefore creating the problem?????

All this is going to have to wait afor a week now as I'm off to Belgium tomorrow to gee some old friends:D

If it's ok with you I'll check-in again when I get back, the 2006 cds should have arrived by then, also I've got Knoppix on the way (which I thought would be a very good thing to have!).

Cheers for now......

Of course you can use it. After all I din't make it myself! :P

I don't see you having many issues with 2006, the biggest one being the beta xorg version that was shipped with it. After upgrading to latest xorg it should be OK.

Great stuff - I'll wait till we're done on this thread though, to save avatar-related confusion :P

I'd have to go with the fact that glibc is corrupt since you can now check and see your disks don't have problems.

At least we know the disks are OK :P

You can boot from the CD and choose upgrade to fix it, that way you'll not lose anything, or if nothing important, just do a clean install. This is usually better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest weebo

One trip to Belgium and a clean install of 2006 later......

I'm up and running again and almost totally happy (just can't get the dialup sorted out) :mellow:

Thank you for all your help - it's been excellent. I'll bash away with the modem and :thumbs: I'll be fine.

'Till next time eh???

:thanks: