Problem trying to Rip DVD's in K3B - Errors

Pepse

What it is is that I have been trying to find a working DVD ripper for Linux and after a few different types I think I would be better off with K3B. The problem is the version of transcode I have is 0.1.12 and when trying to rip a DVD in K3B I get and error of " K3B does not support ripping Video DVD's with Transcode >=0.1.12 yet ". So, my dilema is, do I upgrade my K3B to 0.12.11, and hope it will work with the newer Transcode, or download Transcode 0.6.0pre5 and hope that K3B finds it and uses it. The older version of Transcode is what K3B lists in its "dependencies for rippin". I really don't want to dump the newer Transcode because I am trying to get one of the other Rippers to work, and I am thinking/hoping that by also having the older Transcode, K3B would find it and use it. K3B's web doesn't have much for help. And for those of you that wonder what other ripppers I have; Acidrip (POS), DVDRip (almost works), DVDshrink(no good), MPlayer/Mencoder (commandline ripper that has caused me a LOT of grief and of course still doesn't work), and K9 (haven't gone too far with it as it seems I need more dependencies than I already have). And believe me there is an armful of dependencies that I have downloaded from the net and installed from my PowerPack DVD. DVDRip has the better manual but it seems to stop where I need the most help. So, I figure if I can get K3B to work then I'll deal with the rest later.

I have Mandriva 2005LE PowerPack DVD.

Pepse.

I use acidrip, is great. If you want them watchable under windows, then use the xvid code. Else stick with the default, as it does it much quicker and good quality for watching under Linux.

There's also k9copy, which someone mentioned recently, I will give this a go soon. Acidrip had a problem with the xvid codec, in that it put something in the parameter that stopped it working, so I had to export the code, then modify it, and then run from the CLI.

I get the impression that K3B is not the way to go? That's OK, I'm just trying to find something that I can get to work. But, the 2 rippers listed are the 2 I am having alot of grief trying to get to work. But I will try again to get at least one of them to work. I will post problems when possible. Maybe yet tonight.

Later. Pepse.

What's the problem you have trying to get it to work, what errors do you get? Can you post them?

I could never install DVD-Rip because of a problem with an rpm being less than it wanted, but I used acidrip successfully, albeit exporting the code to edit it. (removing a colon : before the bitrate entry)

OK, I tried K9copy again and the problem I have is when I do "make" I get an error of: /usr/local/include/dvdread/ifo_types.h:32:2: #error Must include <inttypes.h> or <stdint.h> before any libdvdread header . What?? I have libdvdread-0.9.5 installed, so I don't have any idea what I am being asked to do.

Pepse.

Is there any particular reason that you compile it rather than install the rpm using urpmi?

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name k9copy
k9copy:k9copy-0.3b-1plf.i586.rpm
k9copy:k9copy-0.3b-1plf.x86_64.rpm

this is what's shown by my install as available from my urpmi sources.

In order to get URPMI I need to go through a long process of sorta registering with EASYURPMI; you know where you pick the mirrors and put in a particular code. I still have dial-up and I started to do that stuff about 5 or 6 months ago and just gave up as I got disconnected from my ISP; common problem with dial-up. So up until recently I didn't deal with downloading anything, because RPM's are better/faster but do to the hassle of getting EASYURPMI I didn't do anything. But now that I got a DVD burner I decided to see what I can do. I was lucky to get the RPM for libdvdcss, I think through Sourceforge or Freshmeat. But verything else I needed are tarballs.

I gotta go to sleep, it is 3:20 AM. I'll check this, hopefully, before I go to work today (before 2:00 PM.

Pepse.

Edited by Pepse

Were you choosing the compressed index option for your easyurpmi sources? This might work better for dialup. Without compressed, main and contrib are around 25MB each. Compressed, they are about 30-40K from what I remember.

Just a thought anyhow.

Do you have your kernel-source installed, what's the contents of your /usr/src directory? This could be why it's failing on compiling.

Here is what comes up for my /usr/src : linux@ linux-2.6.11-12mdk/ nvidia-7174/ RPM/ . As for your mention of compressed option I don't recall anything about it but I will look into it later. Since I have the tarballs in my system I will deal with them unless it is thought that they might be bad.

Pepse.