New to Linux. I need help [solved]

Guest sancho

Hello everyone!

I have just registered in your interesting forum and as you have already guessed from the topic I have a problem with Linux.

It has been a while since I've wished to work with this OS but I haven't taken the time till today. I downloaded the newest version of Mandriva and installed it on the PC. Clear installation- no problems at all.

When I rebooted the comp nonetheless, I couldn't manage with the localuser/pass. I figured that out :). Now I have another problem. When I execute the startx command, nothing gets started. Instead I am back to the console and the following information appears in it:

Backtrace:

0: /etc/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x88) [0x808968]

1: [0xffffe420]

2: /etc/X11/X(main+0x280) [0x80d7270]

3: /lib/tls/libc.6(_libc_start_main+0xd0) [0xb7e5be40]

4: etc/X11/X [0x8070121]

Fatal server error:

Caught signal 11. Server aborting

I don't think that the information I am providing here is very helpful but that is the only thing that I can tell for now. From the help and info that I have read so far I guess this should be a problem with the Xorg. Can you help me fix it?

I know that the question I am asking is very stupid and you are tired of assisting beginners but I would be really grateful if someone could help me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Welcome, Linux is Fun, I ve used it for a year so not a guru, but mine works fine.

I had the same pb once and I did in root:

su [enter]

yourpassword [enter]

XFdrake [enter]

and then just navigate through to autodetect ur gfx card and go in option to run that each time x start, I think that might work

Stef

Welcome aboard. :)

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :D

You are right, it is a problem with Xorg. For now, try to set up a working graphical environment with XFdrake, as already suggested. If you could post your hardware specs, this would help us a lot. Also, at the command line, type:

cat /home/username/.xsession-errors | less

and put the output of it here, if you can. This file is the first file to look at, if the graphical environment does not start. The "| less" option allows you to browse slowly through the content of the file. For quitting, press q.

It is really kind of you. I've never expected such an immediate response.

Here is some info about the graphic adapter and the monitor.

GeForce NVidia 6600 Silencer 256MB DDR

Monitor 19" TFT Philips 190X6 Max. resolution: 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz.

If you need sth else, just tell. I'll be out for a couple of hours, but then probably you could help me tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions I will try them when I come back.

Best regards,

Valentin

Hello!

I am really happy because I have fixed the problem. It appears that I have chosen to run the Xorg automatically upon reboot during the installation and I chose not to run it and everything is OK.

The OS looks really interesting but I do not know how to configure my system. I am stuck with a bunch of problems: I don't have internet and I do not know how to setup my connection and I tried to play some mp3- they don't work either.

I haven't selected any of the custom packages that can be chosen during the installation (in advanced mode) and I looked through them now but I do not know what to choose and what to install.

Can someone help me out with any of the problems. I know that is not a simple thing and is time-consuming so I'd be very grateful even if you only could give some links where the basics are explained. Any general advice is more than welcome too.

I would really like to use this OS and I'm counting on you .

Thanks for your help.

Most configuration can be done using the MCC (Mandriva Control Center aka "Configure your computer"). Everything can also be made using the terminal, but the MCC is a nice tool if you are starting with Linux.

Those two links should ask most of your questions easily:

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Mandriva

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=4452

If you still have some problems, just ask. :)