v.92 in ppp?

Sudrien

Many "V92-ready" modems are actually V90 modems, that can be updated with a new driver, so that V92 is used instead. It may involve flashing the modem's "bios" (don't know how it is called). Anyway, I think you have to wait for your modem's manufacturer to provide an update for Linux.

Yves.

No, it wasn't a v.92 ready modem, and I flashed the bios from windows. Since it is not a winmodem, the modem itself should negotiate v.92 access, right?

And windows needs a "Modem on hold" utitlity for recieving calls while online (my main motivation). Do I need to install somthing as an equivelent?

I could be wrong but I believe when you flashed the bios in windows the driver/.inf was replaced/upgraded. I'm not sure of the details because for me it's seems to be a waste of time, because of a lack of ISP's upgrading to v92, because when they do we won't want it, and because of your second question...

And windows needs a "Modem on hold" utitlity for recieving calls while online (my main motivation). Do I need to install somthing as an equivelent?
Yes, but you'll have to develope it first, if you mean gui software :wink: I've searched just out of curiosity and turned up nothing. BUT, if you want to use the features in linux you could learn the AT commands for it and either use the kppp terminal (I think) or setup minicom (on the cd's) or kermit. Again, I could be wrong because I haven't dug deep on the subject.

Cool that your isp is v92, and if you find software for linux I'd be interested to know so I can look into a v92 isp as well.

If you just want to cut down on cost having only one phone line and don't want to miss calls, use Callwaves Internet Answering Machine. When your on windows it's literally an answering machine with caller id while online, but in linux, after the caller gets a busy signal, I imediately get an email telling me I missed a call and the number that called. $3.95 US a month. I've had it for 1.5 years.

http://www.callwave.com/