Upgrading to Open Office 2 [solved]

Ironfighter

I have just read a review on Open Office 2 and because it now has a database in the suite I would like to upgrade from Open Office 1. I probably should know the answer to this question by now but:

Can I download and install OOo2 over the top of OOo1 or do I have to uninstall OOo1 first? Advice on any potential pitfalls would be appreciated.

According to the install instructions, it doesn't matter if you uninstall OOo 1 first or not - versions 1 and 2 can coexist happily. I removed version 1 first though, just to be sure.

I used the download from the openoffice.org site, which includes a mandriva-menus rpm as well as the main, distro-independent rpms, and the install was amazingly painless. One "rpm -ivh *" and success! Good work fellas! (This is using Mandriva 2005, by the way).

One thing I would advise though, is that if you've got macros in your spreadsheets or documents, make a copy of your macros and save them as text. I had the problem where I'd created macros but they weren't in the document, they were in some general library somehow - which wasn't accessible to OOo2. So I had to reinstall OOo1, and move the macros into the document itself before OOo2 could see them. And then uninstalled OOo1 again :)

That URL is old - it's talking about 1.1.

This one's better: http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.1/instructions.html#linux

The install instructions I read made it clear that 1.1 and 2 can coexist happily.

Thanks Neddie. I have downloaded and extracted ? the tarball OOo_2.0.1_src.tar.gz. Into my home folder (because I know where it is :D ). I now have a folder ¨OOA680_ml¨ which has loads of other folders -see screenshot. I have tried to find an RPM file but without any luck - I¨ve searched high and low for the ¨directory with the unpacked image¨.

Have I got the right tarball - I hope so (it took me 17 hours on a dial up comnnection :lol2: )

If so does anyone know which folder I should CD to?.

Is the command <rpm -Uvih *rpm>?

If not what should I do ?

By the way as a newbie to linux I find using Konqueror with a split screen and terminal window very helpful when I am trying to do this stuff. post-11354-1140256574_thumb.jpg

Sorry, mate, wrong file!

You need to get a file called OOo_2.0.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz

from here -> http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.1/index.html

And the command is rpm -ivh *

just like that

p.s. The file which you got is an archive of the source which you'd have to compile yourself (near impossible, it's even worse than compiling KDE, better get that rpm archive I pointed out).

Edited by solarian

Yea, delete it,

it's useless if you're not a total sadomazochist :P

OOo_2.0.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz is 104mb in size

p.s. When you get it, cut/paste the Mandriva Menus .rpm file from the subdirectory into the main rpm dir, then delete the subdir,

and only then install with -ivh *

so only the Mandriva menu entries will be installed ;)

Edited by solarian

Thanks solarian - Its gone! It took about 5 minutes :lol2:

I´ll let you know how I go.

Up and running! I bought Linux Format today and I found it had OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz on the CD. I copied it from the CD into my home directory using Konqueror then followed your instructions (rt*m :D ) and I can now open it from the K menu. Thanks everyone. :thumbs: