When online gaming connection is crap

Scirious

People, I'm not sure if this should be posted here. But it relates to network in many ways. Actually, it relates to a bad settled network. The problem is that when I download something I can maximize my bandwidth, but when I play a game on a server near me my ping goes beyond 400. However, at the same time I tried it in Fedora Core for and my ping was in between 15-30.

Any one knows what might be happening?

Thankns in advance,

Scirious.

EDIT: I forgot to say that firewall was disabled during the install process and never enabled again!!!

Edited by Scirious

Well, there is only one game I play, which is Unreal Tournament 99. I only play this game, so I cannot tell about others. Nonetheless it is strage how Mandriva is miss behaving on my machine. First this connection problem and also I can't get any 3D acceleration if I install Nvidia's driver from a rpm. If I do it useing Nvidia's installer it's all right, but if I use the rpm I can't even run glxgears becuase it kills X and goes back to login screen. Actually, I'm going to discuss Nvidia's driver problem in another forum, but I also have to solve this connection problem cause it is very strange.

Edited by Scirious

If it gives problems in Mandriva and doesn't when you use Fedora (which is the only thing you've changed in the environment, I'm assuming) then the problem must be with Mandriva.

The solution? Use Fedora :P

...or try rolling a different (I recommend vanilla) kernel for Mandriva and see if an alternative NIC module doesn't offer better support.