accessing printer connected to windoze machine

null

Qchem - ok I'll mess around with that when I get home. Maybe its something to do with the printer name? Way back last year when I set my win2k machine as "shared" printer, I may have name it something else... like HP6540 or something....? When I add a SMB printer in KDE's Add Printer, and it asks me for a workgroup, a location, and a printer, do I have to name the printer EXACTLY what it is called on my windoze box? Probably. Maybe I didn't do that.

Not sure regarding the KDE part (I'm a gnome abuser) but for the cups uri you have to use exactly the name that the printer is shared as, you can check that from a linux box with:

smbclient -U username -L dd-win2k

replacing username with your windows username (it'll ask for that users windows password).

ok I am back at it.

I deleted the SMB printer I set up before. Now when I re-add it, I get to the "backend" screen where it asks for what type of account, and a login name and password. I am choosing "Normal" account, not the "annonymous" or "guest" accounts. Then it wants a login name and a password... Does it want the windoze login and password ? That's what I'm gonna try....

Nope, still did not print anything, even though it says "test page successfully sent to printer".

I got on my winbox earlier, and checked that the printer was shared (its name is HP). Also I notice that my windoze box thinks its in a workgroup called WORKGROUP. I chose the Network ID thing in control panel, and told it that other computers in a Home workgroup may connect to it. It asked for a login name or if it should require the administrator login. I left that on the default setting (administrator login).

Here's what my KDE Add Printer ended up looking like:

General

Type: SMB shared printer (Windows)

Name: HP

Description: HP DeskJet 6540

Backend

URI: smb://administrator@WORKGROUP/dd-win2k/HP

i didn't think of that. I use zone alarm on the windoze box.

edit: ok, I see that zone alarm has been blocking my linux box. I right-clicked on one of the blocked entries as added that connection to Trusted...

still isn't printing anything

edit 2: I shut down ZA on the winbox. Now it is working...!!!

Unfortunately, whatever I send to the printer from my mandriva box, prints a line of characters at the top of the first page, then just shoots out the rest of the paper in the tray.... :wall: When I selected the brand & model of the printer, during KDE's add printer option, it appeared that it selected the correct driver for me, at least it said it did.

Oh well, at least the two machines are communicating....!!! Now to get proper printouts....

Edited by null