BIOS skipped, LILO loads fine

Guest cisforCOJO

Guest cisforCOJO

I am currently running Mandiva 10.1 and wish to upgrade to Mandriva 2006 using a network install.

My problem is that my computer (IBM Thinkpad) is now skipping the option during bootup to get into the BIOS and goes straight into LILO. Thus, booting from a floppy isn't an option. It doesn't even check to see if a floppy is in the drive (it did before this problem occurred). I have had some trouble with the power shutting off, a faulty power cord, and this problem just occurred one day.

The setup of my BIOS WAS to check the floppy drive first, CDROM second and finally the harddisk for booting. Now it just goes straight into LILO where I have the option to go into XP or M10.1.

Does anyone know how I could install Mandriva 2006 with no access to my CDROM or floppy drive during installation? Just LILO and linux.

Thanks. I know this one is a bitch. It's confusing the hell out of me.

Firstly, I don't know how to get BIOS back. WHen Linux loads, it always says "BIOS check successful".

I can't remember exactly with which key you can enter the bios on a IBM. But most of the time you press one of the following keys before the LILO loads.

- F1

- F2

- Del

- F10

I hope you can enter your bios, by using one of the keys I mentioned above. And maybe some other board-members, know the exact keys to use.

Guest cisforCOJO

I know of hitting F1, DEL, INSERT, etc etc to drop into the CMOS but I don't have that option...

my computer just shows a text cursor and then goes straight into LILO.

I used to have this option to go into CMOS and I haven't changed any settings. It's really confusing and I've never seen anything like it. The BIOS screen is completely bypassed.

The only tools available to me are: LILO, harddrive, internet

My floppy drive DOES work but only once I'm in linux. I cannot boot straight from it. Is there any way I could put network.img and network_drivers.img onto 2 floppies and then load that from LILO?

Guest cisforCOJO

Yea I just checked. Nothing. I've never seen this sort of problem before.

The system loads perfectly and ZERO problems during linux bootup. There's just NO way for me to enter the CMOS setup. CD-ROM and floppy work fine in the OS's and they WERE set in the CMOS to boot 1) floppy 2) cdrom 3) hd. Now it just goes straight to LILO. No BIOS mem check or anything.

Is there any way I could load the floppy disk images from lilo?

There's no way I can get the system to boot from the floppy right now that I know of.

You should be able to put a bootable floppy in the drive. When the LILO menu appears, press ESC so you get a prompt, and then type the word floppy. This will then allow you to boot from floppy disk.

Maybe even try typing cdrom instead, and see what happens for booting from CD.

He wants to get in the bios, normaly you see on a thinkpad in the left corner "bios acces press F1". But in the bios you can disable that :cry: , so i think that someone hase that disabled. You can try to startup the Thinkpad an as soon as you pushed the powerbutton keep hitting the F1 key.

I will look into my manuals from my Thinkpad when i'm at home.

You can also contact IBM they are very helpfull.

With Google i found this: In Reply to: Re: BIOS acces on IBM Thinkpad posted by Jerry on May 17, 2004 at 13:53:56:

Press F1, hold it in when you turn your machine on, then let go. It will take you into easy setup

Also: I was able to access the lame BIOS config, by pressing the normal keys... del escape, ctrl... not sure what actually triggered it.

Edited by willie

I've sometimes found on pressing any of the keys on the laptop, that it generates a keyboard error, and then prompts you to be able to get into the BIOS using the correct key be it F1, and so on.

At least, it works for me on Tosh laptops :P