COnnecting through the LAN?

Guest JoeSoap

Guest JoeSoap

Ok so I want to connect my Linux box to the net. How do I do it if my other PC(win98) connects to the Net, and I want to connect to the net through my LAN with my Linux Box. What do my gateways and all of that have to be? And do I need to set up a proxy or not? Also what do I need to set my browser in linux as?

:)

-Joe SOap

You are not precise enough...

How is conected your linux box to the win98 one ? .. Ethernet rj45 cross cable or wireless stuff ? How your win98 box shares his ressources ? Usually a server assign IP to his client so you should only have to type 'dhcpcd eth0' as root on your linux box so that you get an IP from your win98 box.

Be more precise

MottS

Guest JoeSoap

Well sorry for being so vague:), but this is how it works!

I have 2 PC connected on my network through rj45 cables into a 100m/ps hub. My first PC has win98 & 2000 on it. This computer is the one that connects to the internet, and I wish i could make linux the gateway but the win98 pc is my dad's. Anyway I set up Internet connection sharing on the win98 PC so I could use mine to share the internet.BUT i decided to get rid of windows altogether and Now run Linux Mandrake9. What I wanted to do was to use my linux pc but be able to connect to the internet through the network and through the win98 PC which I think is the gateway:)

Anyway this is what I did...I set up my Linux as follows. Set my IP to 192.168.0.2, set the win98 PC IP to 192.168.0.1. Then i set the gateway on my pc to 192.168.0.1...and it seems to work.....I can now browse the internet from my linux PC when the win98 PC is connected to the net:) Im not sure if this is the correct way of doing it but it workd???

Thanx for the help in anycase:)

Well... sorry I might be dumb here but I still have some problems figuring out what you are trying to do.. :oops:

What I understand right now is that your modem is connected to a hub. Now your Linux box and you Win98 box are both connected to this hub via RJ45 cables. Is that right ?

.. anyway .. it works for you now. :wink:

MOttS

Guest JoeSoap

ANyway....Sorry Motts I cant seem to explain this properly...but Im going to tryagain :)

I have a LAN...I have 2 PC's connected to it through a hub(sometimes there are 3 PC's,but that's not important).

The win98 box has a IP of 192.168.0.1 and my Linux box has an IP of 192.168.0.2. Now the win98 box has the modem connected to it...not to the hub.So this is the PC that connects to the net using an ISDN modem. BUT anyway what i wanted to do was to be able to browse the internet on my linux box while the win98 box is connected to the NET. So what I did was enabled internet connection sharring on the win98 box. Then I set my gateway on my Linux box to 192.168.0.1. And this seems to work. I can now browse the internet from my Linux box while the win98 box is connected to the internet.

I was just wondering if this is the correct way of doing it?

I hope that made a little more sense :))))

Oh yes one more thing...when I shut my linux box down...it gets to a point and then halts there for ages,sometimes it doesnt even move on?

It says something about a net Device being busy?...I thought maybe you would know?

Thanx once again